FRIDAY'S AIR

Bud Baker

Good morning, everyone!

It was 53 degrees as I rode to work this morning. Forecast high is 91. It's funny that yesterday afternoon's 87 degrees didn't feel warm to me at all. Over two months of 100+ degrees pretty much every day will change your perspectives some, I guess.

Alan, congrats on the scan. Around here, there's nothing better than that. The most ironic part about our fires while Irene was flooding everyone else is that the winds from Irene, as it was passing close, are what caused the fires to get so bad. It's been better since the wind let up, but as long as we stay this dry, fires will continue to be a problem. Here's an article from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that does a good job of showing how severe our heat and drought has been this year.

Ann, good to see you on the Air. Sorry that lung cancer keeps showing up around you, but with so many cases of it around, I guess that's bound to happen.

People have to keep their minds and bodies active or they will fall apart.
I don't think most people really understand just how important that is to our health. As we get older, and more and more health problems show up, it becomes harder and harder to stay active. But if you don't, a downhill slide can happen very fast.

I'm going to ride the Cowtown Classic tomorrow. It starts just 4 miles from my house, so I'll just ride to the start. I may do a little fishing on Sunday.

Enjoy your big weekend, KW Judy. Have a great day, all!

Good morning all,

Yes, Alan, congrats on your good results.

As for the weather, all I can say is that I'm very thankful for where I live. We just don't get the extreme weather that many of you do. Our winters can dump a lot of snow, but they are so good at cleaning it up, it really isn't much of a bother. The temperate temps the rest of the time make it all worth it. I'm very grateful.

Well, the big game is tonight. Unbelievable but NBC television is coming to cover this major game. In three years, they have raised over $700,000.00 that all goes to cancer related charities. It's quite amazing. So watch on TV for coverage for the Lowell, MI Pink Arrow Pride football game on NBC.

I'm heading out to have my hairs colored and cut. Then off to the afternoon games, and the evening football game.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Judy in MI

Bud I know where your heat went!! Today it is supposed to be 107 but sense it was 103 at noon I suspect it will get even hotter. We also have a strong North Wind. Here that means hot and dry so the Red Flag warnings are out for today and tomorrow. The one think looming on the horizon is the chance for thunderstorms but here this time of year that is not good news. Thunder and dry lightening is what we usually get. Always a little spooky but was much worse when I lived up in French Gulch with only two ways out and one of them up what just about amounts to a logging road through move forest that could be a blaze abt minute. My heart just goes out to eveyone in the area of the fires and the floods. I have seen both and neither is any thing I would want to see again.

Alan glad that your scan results are good. I just hope you are staying safe from all of the floods. I am really starting to get concerned for Annette and some others who have not posted lately.

Judy I know you must be excited. Have a great time and let us know when it will be on television.

Well heat and not enough sleep last night mean that it is nap time. Have a great and safe day everyone.

We just don't get the extreme weather that many of you do.

Michigan? Doesn't get extreme weather? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there's a reason so many people in that part of the country move south when they retire. I can bike and boat year round here. I'd put up with heat, drought, fires, dust storms, tornadoes, locust plagues, famine, and pretty much anything else before I'd endure a Michigan winter........LOL.

This is an unusual year here, the worst drought year ever and the hottest July and August ever (and according to this article, the hottest summer ever endured anywhere in the United States, or at least since they've been recording such things). The fire danger isn't that extreme for most people living in or near urban areas where there are lots of firemen nearby, though. It's the people living in rural and small town areas who really have a problem.

As pointed out in this article, Governor Goodhair's budget made huge cuts to the Texas Forest Service and volunteer fire departments. This, in spite of the fact that we were already in a severe drought, and had had a big wildfire problem just two years ago. Rural folks depend on fire protection from the Texas Forest Service and volunteer fire departments, so are really hurting now. Everyone should support Governor Goodhair's run for President. That would get him out of Texas.