Haven't been on for awhile

JudyB

Hi All,

Actually I was rushed backed to the Cancer Center Fri afternoon. Had a fever of 103.8° was throwing up, and because of very low RBC had to have 2 bags of blood. They couldn't find anything in particular. Gave me IV antibiotics and lots of fluids. No blood infection. They think all this from the "easily tolerated chemos!" Gemzar/navelbine is killing me. Nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue, and am losing my hair. Jeesch!

I was also having pain at the top of my spine, so an MRI was scheduled yesterday at 5pm. My oncologist called this evening to tell me, "No new growth, and in fact a slight decrease in the size of my cyber-treated tumor. This must be from the chemo, cause C-K doesn't work this quickly! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyhow, something is killing my memory. (And if anyone suggests Old Age I WILL track you down and kill you.) I totally forgot when I spend long times at my computer, I will get that pain! Duh! :oops::oops:

So, wish me luck with my continuing treatments. I hope I can do 5 cycles.

I hope there is no more bad news on the board. The last time I was on, it seemed like most of the news was bad. I vote for 2004 to be a great year for ALL OF US! :lol::lol::lol:

JudyB

Judy,

I am sorry that you have to go through this. I hope your "easily tolerated" chemo gets easier too. You have been through alot its time for you to get a break and hopefully 2004 will bring you that much needed break. Will be thinking and praying for you.............

Hi Judy, I'm on Gemzar/ carboplatin and I'm here to tell you the gemzar kicks my butt everytime I get it, I get gemzar one week, them gemzar and carbo the next week , then a week off, had a three week vaction from it over the holidays and just went back on and i feel crappy already, just hope it is doing its magic!

Best to you Judy B you aren't getting older you are getting better!

Hello Judy,

Sorry you feel so punk.

Have you asked to be premedicated for nausea and anxiety? I used to get them to load me up good, and I took zyban three times a day for a looong time. It kept things on a more even keel, I can testify to that.

I echo your prayer that 2004 be good to us all.

Love,

MaryAnn

Hey Judy!

I was just thinking this morning, " I wonder how Judy is doing cause she hasn't been on the board." NOW, I know you don't believe that statements, but my nose is NOT growing so therefore I am NOT telling a lie.

Sorry to hear things haven't been going top notch, but knowing you, it won't be long before your back on top of the world.

Gotta agree about that (AGE ISSUE THINGY)! For YEARS after Chemo, I blamed my memory problems on the CHEMO, now my doc's tell me I need to move on and find something else to blame it on. Chemo brain works the best. So go for it girlfriend!!

Hope your feeling better real soon! Good news about MRI though. HOORAY!!!!!!!

Ahh Judy,

So good to hear from ya, so very sorry your having a time with it :(

yea, it really does suck, but yer a strong one, hang tuff, 2004 is gonna be a year of miracles, !!! :)

God bless and know yer in my prayers

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Judy -

Old age has nothing to do with it - once you've had cancer EVERY ache and pain MUST be a met!!!!

It's impossible to not think that way, unfortunately.

Sorry the chemo is beating you down - but I'm counting on you and BobM to kick some butt - you're pioneers here, and we simply WON'T accept anything else!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and prayers. All gratefully accepted.. :lol:

Now I see a new problem. I'm looking at the leather sofa that I lie down on during the day. The pillow where I rest my head, is so full of hair, I half expect the dam sofa to sprout legs and charge out the door! HA!

I would like to know if any of you have gotten the gemzar,navelbine combo, and have easily tolerated them!!! I'd like to know if my onc has any basis for saying this repeatedly!

Just hanging in there---

JudyB

Judy, Judy, Judy:

Good to hear from you girl. Carbo/Taxol did a big number on me and from I gather, Gemzar is worse. Take those anti-nausea drugs.

As far as the memory problem goes, I was going to tell you something, but I can't remember what I was going to tell you. Oh now I remember :!::!::!::!: . It's CRS CAN'T REMEMBER shi_

Hi Judy,

I just started Monday on Gemzar and Cisplatin. This is my first chemo ever and so far the week has gone alright. I have been very fatiqued but never have felt nausea until today for the first time. Actually, the lunch I ate was probably too heavy. On Tuesday, I get just the Gemzar and then a week off. Let's keep in touch and "compare notes." Hopefully, it will go better for you than what has been. How many more treatments do you have left?

Also, my onc. told me most people do not lose their hair on Gemzar so I wonder if it's the other chemo that's doing it? She said Gemzar had less side effects than Taxol. I wonder if they really know anything!

My thoughts, prayers, and love are with you, Judy.

CathyR

Judy,

Don't leave us for so long, we worry.

Earl's short and mid term memory are for shinola. We joke that he has not seen a rerun since he has gotten sick.

And the chemo is tough, no doubt about it. Until you have it or see someone you love have it, I don't think you have any idea how tough it is.

Hang in there.

Ginny

JudyB,

Sorry that you are feeling so bad! I know how you feel about the hair thing, I would stare at myself in the mirror and cry! so when it started coming out in handfulls I decided to forgo the trauma and went and got it all cut off, One last cry and then it was over with. Get a wig if you can find one that suits you, or a soft floppy hat. I just wear scarfs and bandanas and I am not shy about going out. I have noticed that a lot of people come up to me and say "I am a survivor and I just wanted you to know it can be beat!"

Anyhow, hang in there, and talk to the Onc about meds to help you deal with the side effects. Prayers coming your way!

Blessings

Bettty