a new cancer patient..

stregaone

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 weeks ago...Im a 55 yr old female... an Im terrified... the cance was also in my lymph node under my arm which the dr removed Thurs (the node) not my arm... :lol:

It all very confusing at frist the pul dr was talking surgery to remove the mass in my lung... but since it was in the node they are talking chemo/radiation... i was told survival rate is 25% for 5 yrs... which is scary,overwelming... every emotion from scared to angry, one minute i think im gona be fine... the next I think OMG Im gona die...Would be great to talk to other who are/hav gone thru this... blessings Stregaone

Ok first do not listen to the survival rate!! Ignore that part. Most everybody here has past that mark years ago for the most part! We had one member who sadly recently passed who was a 15 year survivor so....

The terror will ease up when the plan gets in place and rolling along. when you actually start a treatment plan you start to go, Hey this is beatable!! I am going to feel better!

I am a caregiver survivor but I also can recommend look through our good news forum and our inspiration forum. It is the weekend and there may not be too many responses due to that but I might be wrong so.

It sok to be scared of the unknown right now. Get the fear and the terror out of the system and get ready to fight this little bugger!

DIE, TUMOR, DIE!!!

thanks so much for the quick reply... ur wife is a beautiful women....its awesome that u have set this site up.... Im sure its not eay being constantly reminded of your loss.... but just knowing there are others out there really does help.... Thank you Randy...

actually Katie Brown is the founder of the site and it is dedicated to her father! She is tireless in her pursuit of a cure for Lung Cancer !! I am an administrator and help out when she is not able to here! Thank you! I do miss My wife a lot and hope to help others fight this disease with grace dignity and courage like she did!!

I'm an advanced LC survivor of over 4 yrs with my eye on 5. Yes, it is terrifying at first. Once you get settled into a treatment plane you move into what we call a new normal. I worked in my orchid room today, maybe not as long as I used to but...my new normal and it's o.k.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how the doctors decide to treat. We're here to help with any support you need.

Judy in KW

I am sorry you have to be here, but wanted to welcome you. It is very scarey at first, but does get better once you have your treatment plan in place. As Randy said - don't pay any attention to the statistics. I don't know a single person whose case has fit the "statistics". It is based mostly on old info, and from what I've seen has nothing to do with how each of us does as an individual. If you read the stories on here, you will see that this is true.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Diane

Listen to the others - don't listen to statistics! They do no good and only cause anxiety. I was diagnosed with stage 4 almost 5 years ago - and like you I was originally told surgery would be done, then the doctor's changed their mind and planned chemo and radiation, then after a second opinion I ended up doing chemo and Tarceva - The thing is 5 years ago this December, I was right where you are now, confused, scared, anxious. Once you have a plan in place (and make sure you have a Dr. you trust and feel comfortable with) things get much easier, and less scary. I know we all have said that, but that is because it is true - once you have a plan and start treatment, you start to feel more in control.

Ask questions of the folks here, everyone is wonderful and there are sure to be people who have had the same treatment you will have. And breathe! - You can do this!

I echo what all the other wise folks here shared. There is hope. There are lots of stories from folks that proved the doctors and the statistics wrong. Your doctor gave you a statistic, but the good news is you are a people! Let us know your plan when you have one and we'll help you along the way.

MI Judy