Any suggestions on sleeping?

TBone

Hi again everybody,

I finished my first radiation treatment today.I am so excited now that I can't sleep.I took ambian with little or no effect.Seems I sleep very deeply but when I awake I am wide awake.I am on decadron too so I am sure some of it comes from that.I cannot stop eating either.I feel like a bottomless pit.I am so glad that I found this board and thanks so much for all the welcomes.I look forward to checking in here all the time now.Peace and serenity to you all.I think some of my siblings have joined up here so you all probably will be chatting with them too.I have a huge support group right here in this little town and lots of family.Thanks again.TBone

Hello Tbone,

Good luck with your treatments.

My husband took Melantonin 3mg, 1 hour before going to bed

if he felt it was going to be one of those sleepness night.

Ask your doctor about it, he may say yes, here in Canada it is not

allowed but I always got it from the States and our doctor was all

for it.

The best.

J.C.

One thing about that Ambien - when you STOP taking it after taking it for a while, the DREAMS you have are SOOOOOOO whacked!

The label says not to take it for over a week...upon diagnosis, my doctor knew I wasn't sleeping and told me to continue until surgery (which happened to be about two and a half weeks).. So, since the surgeon was not aware of medical history, it was not "ordered" for me in the hospital and THAT'S where I had my vivid, screwball dreams..

I even had one that was like an X-rated "Fantasia" (not sure where THAT one came from) where the dancers were NOT mushrooms, but something that Lorena Bobbitt may have induced... I woke up from that disturbing dream during an "informal consultation" between doctors at the foot of my be - I just KNEW they had seen what was going on in my head... (Wasn't my first hallucination while there.) I told my husband about it later in the day when he came to visit - he laughed so hard, the nurses were asking what the joke was! (Yet ANOTHER embarassing moment for me!) He still teases me by humming the music the lil' suckers were dancing to! DISTURBING!

Better living through chemistry - where else ya gonna find melting walls and talk to people that just aren't there? I'd talk to a nurse and then wake up to an empty room...and realize it wasn't a nurse I had seen before (I was quite a popular girl with the nursing staff and knew at least all the faces...)

ANYWAY...could be caffeine keeping you awake. I try not to drink any cola or eat any chocolate after 6:00P so I can sleep. Another thing that helps is Benadryl (the allergy medicine). Check with your doctor before taking it, though....

Wishing you a peaceful night's sleep!

Becky

Decadron will make you ravenous. Some "sleep hygiene" tips:

Do:

1. Go to bed at the same time each day.

2. Get up from bed at the same time each day.

3. Get regular exercise each day, preferably in the morning. There is good evidence that regular exercise improves restful sleep. This includes stretching and aerobic exercise.

4. Get regular exposure to outdoor or bright lights, especially in the late afternoon.

5. Keep the temperature in your bedroom comfortable.

6. Keep the bedroom quiet when sleeping.

7. Keep the bedroom dark enough to facilitate sleep.

8. Use your bed only for sleep and sex.

9. Take medications as directed. Its is often helpful to take prescribed sleeping pills one hour before bedtime, so they are causing drowsiness when you lie down, or 10 hours before getting up, to avoid daytime drowsiness. (Except as otherwise directed, e.g., with Ambien.)

10. Use a relaxation exercise just before going to sleep.

* Muscle relaxation, imagery, massage, warm bath, etc.

11. Keep your feet and hands warm. Wear warm socks and/or mittens or gloves to bed.

Don't:

1. Exercise just before going to bed.

2. Engage in stimulating activity just before bed, such as playing a competitive game, watching an exciting program on television or movie, or having an important discussion with a loved one.

3. Have caffeine in the evening (coffee, many teas, chocolate, sodas, etc.)

4. Read or watch television in bed.

5. Use alcohol to help you sleep.

6. Go to bed too hungry or too full.

7. Take another person's sleeping pills.

8. Take over-the-counter sleeping pills, without your doctor's knowledge. Tolerance can develop rapidly with these medications. Diphenhydramine or Benadryl (an ingredient commonly found in over-the-counter sleep medications) can have serious side effects for elderly patients.

9. Take daytime naps.

10. Command yourself to go to sleep. This only makes your mind and body more alert.

Good luck, Teresa

T-Bone,

I sympathize. For a long long time I couldn't get to sleep at night, so I just would read in bed, resting as comfortably as I could, until I fell asleep with the book on my chest and the lights on. ( This might be disturbing to your wife). It actually was the only way I could fall asleep due to the pain before surgery, and the pain/lack of mobility afterwards (I just couldn't get comfortable). So, I didn't think about it, and I fell asleep..

The benadryl is a good idea, I also used to take valerian root when I had trouble sleeping pre-diagnosis. Ask your doctor.

Good luck. As long as you're resting comfortably, I guess if you can't sleep, you can't. I also used to say the same prayer over and over and over, and that would sometimes put me to sleep -- block my mind from worrying.

You're in our prayers,

MaryAnn

T-Bone-

Its the decadron.... I have taken small doses of Ativan to help me to fall asleep. It probably also explains the appetite. One thing I did experience was irratibility and feeling "down" when the decardon wore off. 2-3 days after the last dose

Joe

I just want to tell you something about some of the meds you are talking about and some that I read about in the other posts here. The Ambien is a Bensodyapine(sp) if it causes anyone to hulicinate make sure you are very carefull. Johnny tried the Ambien and didn't like it. At the time we didn't know it was from the same family as Ativan(Bensodyapines) witch he had already had a terrible reaction to with nightmares and hulcinations. Ativan is much stronger than Ambien or most of the other Besodyapines.

Please be very carefull with these drugs. They can cause serious problems that may lead to other things much worse. I know it was a dose of Ativan given in Johnny's IV that started all of the things that led to his death.

If you have a problem with one you will more than likely have it with the other. I have sense learned that these types of problems are very common with Ativan and most of them are dose related the rest are just caused because the person taking it is very sensitive to it. Johnny had taken the Ativan in very small doses earlier. It was when his dose was increased that he had the problem. I don't want to scare anyone off a medication that might work. I just want to warn you to be very careful.

Hi T-Bone,

Yes, some of your family was on other postings and one did offer all of us a trip to Georgia for some Gumbo. You had better be staying awake and watching out for us. Never know who will show up unexpectedly. :lol::lol:

I have lost all sense of sleep. I am not a believer in meds to sleep. I figure when the body gets tired enough it will sleep. Of course I have never been much for sleeping except when i was single and my Buddy and I would go out and party till who knows when and then I would sleep all the next day. My dad had a saying that "one can sleep when they are dead" and I think I heard that so much in my teen years that I practice it now. :lol::lol:

Sorry you are having trouble. Maybe you just need a few days to settle your mind of all that is happening.

Uh, oh...I can see I'm going to have to preach at you now, Norme: :)

You must know that a tired, worn-out, weakened Norme is not going to be as effective caring for "her Buddy" as an awake and refreshed Norme. Read all the little tips posted above, and try them out. Give up your old ideas about the evils of drugs that help you sleep. I'm sure your father was very wise, but that was when you were a teenager, and you are not the same person now. I'm willing to bet that if your father were here, he'd want you to get enough rest. There are LOTS of sleep drugs; over-the-counter, herbals, and prescriptions. Lavender also helps relax a person. (I put a little lavender oil on a tissue and tuck it into my pillowcase.) I've also used Valerian. But, of course, check with your physician before taking any sleep drugs. They can help - don't be afraid to use them if you need them.

End of speech. :)

Having trouble sleeping can be a problem. I know for Randy, he had to have a fan on. It didn't matter if it was summer or winter, but he needed to have a fan on and it didn't have to be pointed at him. I think it was the noise that the fan made, that made it easier for him to sleep. The noise wasn't alot but it did block out all the little creaks and what have you that can wake you when you are not sleeping deeply.

The other thing that helped him to get to sleep....a warm glass of milk. works for babies, worked for him.

Wish you many sweet dreams.

Shirley

Hey T-Bone,

A little late on my two cents worth, but I just wanted to add that sleepless comes with the up and down emotional roller-coaster ride we are all on. Med's or no med's when our emotions are running wild, as most of us have had happen, it's very difficult to sleep. And my other two cents worth is I agree with Joe that it's the decadron. My sister and others I know that were on decadron had the same problems with sleeping and eathing. Sometimes, I would wake up in the middle of the night and find my sister washing the kitchen floor. :roll::roll: (bless her hear and rest her sole). Well, that's it from my end of the road. Talk to your doc, or I would also suggest, taking naps when you can or feel the need to sleep. You might be allllll screwed up for a while, but this to shall pass. :wink: