Hello everyone

fox220

Hello,

I was diagnosed in November 2011 with stage IV BAC.

I've learned a lot from the Inspire forums, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the volume of activity and that I can't find the right place to post if I just need someone to talk to.

So, when I read the LUNGevity tweet about 24/7 support, I thought I'd stop by and check it out. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and contributing to the forums!

I've documented my journey with cancer on my blog: http://stageiv.wordpress.com. If you choose to check it out, I would be honored.

Good Morning Jessica,

I am looking out at world outside my study window,its a beautiful sunny day,blue skies not a cloud to be seen,which at this time of the year in Scotland you just got to embrace,boy I feel good.

Welcome to LCSC,its a pleasure to meet you,thanks for your post,I also spent the time to read your website,so much of life there,underlying it all there is an intelligent articulate,warm human being,who writes a great story,thank you I so enjoyed reading it.

I am so sorry to read of course of your dx,the great news is you have tested positive for ALK,not that I know much about targetted therapies,but I do know Senator Andy Hill was also ALK positive and is doing just great on the drug.

I am really pleased you have found us so quickly,it took me over a year,perhaps because I live on the other side of the pond?.The support and friendships I have gained from this site has been wonderful,finding this site earlier,would have made my cancer journey so much easier to cope with,better late than never I always say.

The other buddies will be along shortly,to introduce themselves,what a great bunch they are,I just know you are going to have a lot of fun,getting to know everyone,as we are going to in getting know you.Can I recommend our just for fun forum?,this is very laid back daily exchange of chat about whats going on in our lives.

I am really keen on photography,so can I plug my pics in the members photo album?,lots of interesting ones of Scotland(just flying the flag).

Looking forward to getting to know you,bye for now.

Hi Jessica, welcome to the site where no one wants to be. You'll be glad you came, I think. We are a diverse bunch of people, some who come regularly, more who pop in and out. But all of us have a connection to lung cancer. We are survivors of LC, survivors of the loss of loved ones to LC or current caretakers. What that means is instant empathy and lots of hope and encouragement. I am a survivor--3b, I'm told a 4 if dx'd under the new staging system. I'm living life with my dx and treatment for most of 4 1/2 yrs. You look young; I'm old. So you have youth going for you. Glad you have this ALK thing. I don't have a tumor so don't know if I can be tested for it. I'd be happy if I qualified. It sounds very promising.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. I got into your story, great writing but work calls so I need to keep moving.

Judy in KW

Hello Jessica,

I've just read your entire blog!! Yes, believe it. I am just heartbroken you must be visiting LC sites at this stage in your life. Though I am a bit older than you, I absolutely can relate to the full range of emotions you are experiencing. Sadly, I agree with what the doctor said about luck. LC seems to be enjoying selecting young, never-smoking women as its target. You are being proactive on your own behalf, good for you.

I am originally from the Philadelphia area. Now I'm not all that far away - Lancaster County. And BTW ~ one of my wishes as well, would be that all animals (domestic) have loving homes for the duration of their lives. I have felt the love of some incredible dogs.

You just keep putting one foot in front of the other and I'll be your greatest cheerleader when you run of steam for yourself.

Kassey

Hi Jessica, I live right outside Philadelphia. My husband died in August of 2004 of NSCLC, after a 23 month battle. He was treated at Fox Chase. Where are your doctors? We have many good cancer centers in this area.

Wish you didn't have to be here. Don't know why it seems that so many young women are getting lc. I have heard some suggestion of it being hormonal.

I, too, like Kasey, read your entire blog. Hope this is helping you manage this journey. And you are right, there are so many new things coming out for the treatment of lc. I fight very hard to get awareness of lc to the public and to try and eliminate the smoking stigma.

Stay with us.

Hi Jessica - I'm a bit late to the party, but I do want to welcome you also. I read your blog with great interest. None of us deserve cancer, but I always think it must be even harder when you're young. While I'm older, I can sure relate to the scooter experience. I used one for the first time over the holidays, and got some strange looks as well when I would jump off to get something, and I even had a friend suggest getting myself a walker instead of using a scooter that someone else might need. Of course they just don't get it -- there's nothing wrong with my legs!

You write very well, and while I know how hard a new dx is, I think your attitude is great. I am one of those who kind of comes and goes depending on what is going on in my life, and I do hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing. I am wishing you the best.

Diane

I'm back! I've had more time to read. Your writing style is great. You express yourself so well. I understand how you feel and confess to feeling a lot of the same feelings.

Came to wish you a good night's sleep. For me, it's usually two hour stints with pain meds in between. It's okay for now.

Judy in mI

Sweet dreams, Judy! :)

Ginny, I'm working with an oncoogist in a private practice here in Delaware county. I also consulted with a top surgeon at Penn when I was first diagnosed. He's awesome, but I'm non-operable.

Anyway, I get a lot of (friendly?) hassle from friends and family because I'm not seeing a doctor inside one of the major facilities. But my treatment to date has been full of black and white choices, and I have felt confident in my doctor, to date. If I need chemo or another treatment change, I plan to get a second opinion at that time. And I'll probably ask the surgeon at Penn to recommend an onco for that.

Gee, can you tell I've recited that explanation a few times? hee hee

Everyone: Thank you for your kind words regarding my blog. It makes me feel good that I can do a little to enrich a moment of someone else's life while I share my story.