mom with sclc about to start chemo

Petunia

Can anyone give any info about side effects of chemo. My mom was just diagnosed with extensive sclc on her right lung, kidney and adrenal glands. She was not feeling sick, just had a cough. We were shopping and she fainted. If it were not for that we would never know. I took her for a head ct and made her get a chest x-ray because of her cough. Well from there, ct scan,, biopsy. She stopped smoking ( a little too late) but does this help with her recovery? Can anyone share current survival stories. Will she be here 12-18 months from now? After chemo cycles are over, will she be back to the way she was before chemo? We all want to take a family vacation and want to know when we should. I just hate to see her sick because she is a saint and does not deserve any pain. Our lives are changed forever and I just want to go back a month when she didn't look scared and cried. I tell her that a positive attitude is the best medicine. The only time I am okay is when I am with her because I am strong for her. I just want to know my best friend will be with me here next year.

I did not have SCLC my self but I know several people that are long term survivors . The good news is chemo works very well on SCLC. Usually those with that diagnosis have preventive brain radiation also. My friend here in Minnesota is over 10 yrs with no return.

Keep us posted. Best wishes

Donna G

We do have ever increasing SCLC survivors as we do most if not all lc survivors. It is what keeps us going. Keep reading and posting and you will find the hope and support you need. What kind of chemo will your Mom have? There is sure to be someone who has had it. Although everyone is different, it is a place to start for what might occur. I do treatment for NSCLC but for me, some infusion are o.k., some not so much so. It's often not a straight line. Stay in touch and keep up posted on how your best friend is doing.

Judy in KW

Thanks so much for responding. My mom is doing carboplatin and etoposide. Do you know if people carry on their regular activities like shopping or is it too risky because of getting an infection? I am sick right now so I cannot be around her. I know she has to go to the dr. to check her blood counts. I am not sure what they do if they are low? Will they make her stop chemo? I send all my hugs and prayers to any family that is going through this because I am only at the beginning and I have already taken a toll. I tell my mom that it is mind over matter and positive thinking will get her farther.

I'm sometimes not up to going out for a few days just after chemo but I am generally out-and-about. I've had infusions where they just monitored and others that they routinely followed with a shot to increase wbc.

Sorry you got sick. Take this time to take care of you and you'll be more help to your Mom down the line.

Judy in KW

stay positive and keep encouraging her, i think that's the best help. I made my dad beet juice every morning i think that should help boost the immune system and increase red blood cells. the reaction to chemo depends on each person's body, but there are drugs that could help relieve the side effects of nausea and the like. my dad felt really tired for about a week after each cycle of chemo but after that i think he slowly regains some strength.

stay strong! for your love ones and yourself!

izzy

Thanks, I think I may try some beet juice. Yes, you are right, positive thinking can get a long way. Today was the first day I think my mom began to get side effects. She was very tired and had to take naps throughout the day. One thing I noticed since chemo is that my mom is cold and my mom is never cold. She would sleep with the window open in winter. For some reason now she is sleeping with two covers and wearing an extra sweater around the house. I am thinking maybe because she is not in her routine and moving around so much. Tuesday is wig shopping day so at least it will get her out of the house other than seeing a doctor. Thanks so much for support and I will keep you updated! Sending my good thoughts to your dad and you and your family!

Thanks, I think I may try some beet juice. Yes, you are right, positive thinking can get a long way. Today was the first day I think my mom began to get side effects. She was very tired and had to take naps throughout the day. One thing I noticed since chemo is that my mom is cold and my mom is never cold. She would sleep with the window open in winter. For some reason now she is sleeping with two covers and wearing an extra sweater around the house. I am thinking maybe because she is not in her routine and moving around so much. Tuesday is wig shopping day so at least it will get her out of the house other than seeing a doctor. Thanks so much for support and I will keep you updated! Sending my good thoughts to your dad and you and your family!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Petunia,

We've been battling SCLC since September of last year. You can find the thread I started farther down the list of topics.

My mom stopped responding to the first line of chemo and they started her on a second line which, so far, seems to be keeping things in check.

She gets tired easily and has had to receive blood a few times. She's taking Avemar and Shark liver oil in conjunction with the chemo.

She is also cold a lot, and I have a feeling that's due to the lack of red and white blood cells (which are killed off by the chemo) - but we try and keep her warm and resting as much as possible. She moves around for 15 - 20 minutes at a time, which is really hard to witness because she used to go for 4 hour walks before her diagnosis not that long ago.

Keep your and her spirits up and focus on today as much as possible. It's been 6 months since my mom's diagnosis and one thing I've learned is that you really have to focus on each day. If she's feeling a bit better and you two can converse and have a good talk... it's a good day :) We've had much, much more good days then bad and that really helps put things into perspective.

My heart goes out to you and others who are on this journey and I really hope you get to spend many more years together.

- Ernest.

if she does want to get out and also get about and is worried about airborne infection you may want to get some masks to filter the air she breathes! it might help some to ease her worries..

Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel your pain and agree that we need to take each day as a gift. I also found it interesting that you said your mom was cold because my mom got cold after her chemo and she is always hot. It only lasted for the week after chemo though. Are you doing clinical trials with your mom now? What chemo was your mom in the beginning and how did you find out it wasn't working (ct-scan?) How did you find out that she had sclc? Did your mom do wbr or pci? Sorry with the questions. I now understand the word scanxiety because we just got a paper result of a brain mri and there is an increased flair/t2 signal in the midbrain.... have to wait until next week but does anyone know if this means there is cancer in the brain.....ugh

Randy, I am sorry that you lost your beloved Deb, however, know that you are helping so many with your responses and your care for others who are battling this disease. YOur responses havebeen very helpful. We are starting a new chemo next week: etos.& and cisplatin instead of carbo. We actually just switched doctors to a well known dr. in new york. Have others taken this chemo? From what I understand it is more intense, with side effects and the amount of time it takes for a visit. I hate to see my mom have side effects because with her first cycle she had no side effects - just a little tired and hair beginning to fall out. We have to do this other chemo because her wbc went too low. She will also be taking the Neulasta shot too (however we found out that we can give it to her instead of making another trip!) My mom still is uneasy about leaving the house and I think, for now, I also want to wait until we see how she reacts to this new combo of chemo and shot. I just don't want to take the chance of her getting an infection. If her wbc does not get too low then I can't wait until she is ready to go out shopping for a bit.. a little normalcy .

I send my good thoughts and prayers out to all of you always. It is amazing how quickly your world can change.. never take anything for granted.

Ernest,I found your story so my questions were answered (except if she ever did radiation to the brain.). I have read your story before I started typing... it gets confusing sometimes when you search and search this site. Your mom sounds like a fighter! My mom, on the other hand, said that if this chemo does not work she will not do anything else. She also said thought that she was not going to do chemo at all and she is, so I only hope for the best. She is not taking any other supplements like your mother though and anything I suggest she refuses.