Time for HOPE and Movement / by Andrea Ferris

Guest LCSC Info

Guest LCSC Info

Time for HOPE and Movement

April 30th, 2012 - by Andrea Ferris

http://blog.lungevity.org/2012/04/30/ti ... -movement/

What I witness and experienced this past Sunday morning was nothing short of AWESOME!

With the sun shining on a perfect spring day, over 12,000 people came out to Run As One in Central Park NY to participate in the Labrecque – LUNGevity 4 mile run and 1.3 mile family walk. There were elite runners, weekend athletes and families with strollers. There were people carrying signs for their loved ones with lung cancer and many, many “in memory “stickers on the participants’ shirts. As the runners and walkers took to the field, I was humbled by the sheer numbers and the palpable energy. It made me proud to be part of lung cancer advocacy and reminded me of the magnitude and responsibility of the undertaking.

The momentum of the lung cancer movement is taking hold and it is tremendous to be one of the driving factors. I would like to thank our partners, like the Thomas G. Labrecque Foundation and especially all of LUNGevity’s volunteers and coordinators of our 60+ Breathe Deep and benefactor events that take place year round across the country. I would also like to thank partner lung cancer organizations that came out this morning to participate in and support the Labrecque-LUNGevity program following the race. These organizations included: Memorial Sloan Kettering, Lung Cancer Alliance, the National Lung Cancer Partnership, Bonnie J. Addario, Cancer Care and Uniting Against Lung Cancer. By working together we will be able to accomplish a great deal.

It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child. I believe that it takes a nation to put an end to lung cancer. LUNGevity, together with our collaborations with LiveSTRONG and community partners, like Stupid Cancer, Face the Sun, Cancer Care Services, CaringBridge, Cancer Treatment Centers of America and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center is creating the network to bring the nation together. We are increasing awareness about lung cancer with PSAs that are on display at Rockefeller Center and in national periodicals and we are letting the nation know the real facts about lung cancer. Most importantly, we are empowering the nation to take action.

As we enter May, LUNGevity’s Lung Cancer HOPE month, there is much that we should be hopeful for. We will shortly be reporting on the progress of our 2010 and 2011 research awards as well as putting even more money into research; our HOPE Summit, celebrating lung cancer survivors will be taking place in Washington, DC; and we are continuing to push out with many more events nationwide.

I do believe that we can help create a world where no one dies from lung cancer and that gives me tremendous hope.

Andrea Ferris is President of LUNGevity Foundation.