It's Sunday and time to open the windows!

Joppette

Good day everyone!

I've only been around this joint for a couple of years so I don't know the origination of this daily post that is usually called the current day's "Air". But I've obviously seen references to opening the windows and letting the fresh air in so I just went with that. But I'd be curious to know how this started, and even who started it! I'm just a curious person. LOL.

I can imagine that in the beginning it was to just get a daily chat going that had nothing to do with cancer. Just a place to post funny jokes, thoughts, and even games. I can remember when Ann used to post a lot of fun word games here.

By the time I came around, this daily Air turned into more than just a chat. People could post their updates in the other forums aptly named. But because their diagnosis affected their daily lives and schedules, it always made it's way into the Air room too. Which is fine with me.

I have a lot of things that I wonder about with this message board, but the one I wonder today is about how it started, what it's intention was, and who the beginning folks were that kept it up.

Again, when I first joined this site, this Daily Air room was a busy place! Tons of people posted, and it was almost like a party in here. But life happens and things change and I am sure what it originally was intended to be has just kind of changed and morphed into what it is today.

So, can anyone out there tell me how this AIR page originally started, why, who and what it was all about?

It's Sunday on the holiday weekend. I've been laying low. Recovery from the last treatment on Thursday has demanded that. It's okay.

Judy in MI

Judy: I am pretty new here, so I am not sure the daily"air" comes from. My best guess would be similar to what you suggestedc that it was a way for folks to "air out" the things going on in their lives not totally related to the more serious topic of cancer!

I totally relate to you laying low after your chemo. My thoughts and good wishes are truly wish you. I am truly grateful for the oral treatment I am able to use right now. Minimal side effects. Traditional chemo knocked me off my feet, literally. Take care of yourself, I sure hope you get some positive results! Keep up the rest and take care of yourself. Our bodies are truly amazing in their ability to heal and recover from chemo drugs. It just takes time!

You were right about it being too hot for hot tubbing today. I am enjoying the beautiful sunshine in the comfort of my air condirtioned living room. I can look out the sliding glass doors and see nature! I was out earlier, but it is up to 90 degrees. I will go out when the sun gets a little lower in the sky. I may go to the garden center for on.e b[/color]

Sorry to stop midsentence. I type most of my posts with my phone and sometimes it gets "hung up", no pun intended. I can't go back and edit or continue my post. I try to not make mistakes, but that does not always work out so well, as you can see!

Anyhow, I might get one more flower basket at the garden center. I took the long way around on that explanation.

Susan

I have been crazy busy with everyone home so I haven't been able to post, but I had a moment and saw your question Judy. If I remember correctly it was Judy in KW that started the air. This forum - just for fun- had daily jokes, and sometimes fun starter questions. Sometimes the starter questions led to lengthy back and forth discussions and friendships started. Also, a lot of us were not able to do the regular Tuesday night on line chat room, but wanted to connect a little more with each other, so people started posting little things about their lives here (this was before Facebook was so popular). Judy decided to make it an official daily thing and started "the air". I tried to search for the original air, to find out the origin of the name, but the airs are deleted after a certain amount of time. maybe Kasey, or Randy or Katie remember the rest of the details. Alot of the original "air-ers", no longer post on the forums for various reasons and I think some just do the more chatty stuff on Facebook, but if you are out there and haven't posted yet, please join in! This is where friendships are made! When I got to the Hope Summit, it was surreal and wonderful to meet people I already knew so much about because of the Air! We would love to get to know you too!!

I am having an amazing weekend. nothing is better than having all 3 kids home at the same time, and my daughter's boyfriends seem wonderful. I feel, however, that once the last of them leave, I will sleep for a week!

We have had beautiful weather, a bit buggy, but sunny and warm. Tomorrow is the Parade, then one last barbecue, or maybe we will treat them to lobster rolls.

I hope you are all having a Wonderful weekend also!!

I have been around here forever. The love of my life died in 2004 and yet here I stay with nothing to offer except compassion and a tiny amount of understanding.

I joined here prior to the date that shows, but lost my first sign on. It is very sad to see this site get less attention, it offered me so much during Earl's journey.

I follow each of you like you are my long lost relative. I revel in your triumphs and hurt in your losses. My wish is only for some loud recognition of this horrendous disease, and some incredible funding to help research a cure.

Wish I knew how to get more people to come here, to share their stories, to offer support, to bring forward new information.

It is 10:30 on Sunday night. It was a wonderful day with golf and food and friends. I hope you all had a wonderful day with your family and friends. Good night and bless you all.

I may be wrong on this but if my memory is right the air was started by a member by the name of Will. Will worked on a ocean oil rig. He worked so many months on and then had so many months off. He was the one who started it but he only posted every so often. I dont know what ever happened to Will but the air really belonged to Judy in KW. She loved the idea of the air and kept it going when Will was no longer posting. She stuck with it even when there were many slow times and she was the only one posting. I am glad it is still a part of lcsc and I hope it continues to be. I took my grandson fishing yesterday and today and I am sunburned from head to toe. I hope you all have a nice Memorial day! :D Goodnight eveyone.

(click).

I think you are right on the origin of the "air" Mike. I had forgotten Will's name but did remember he worked on the rig's and the pictures that he would often post. Judy in KW took ownership of it and made it a daily ritual.

That's how I remember it, too.

I wish we had more jokes, games, etc. Even the last bus trip didn't get off the ground and we were planning a bus trip to Scotland and Hawaii - never leaving the bus. What's the matter? Don't you believe in flying buses?

Stay safe and dry the rest of the weekend.

Muriel

Will Riddle in Louisianan had started the air while he was home. he does work still I believe on an oil rig part time and is home part time. Will is doing well currently staying busy with Life because I follow most people also on FB which is our Playground. LCSC has become our serious place for most part. Judy in Key west Liked idea and ran with it for as long as she was able to to keep it going. RIP my friend!! the Air was started back in 2008 BTW!!

Will saw the BP explosion From a distance as I recall out on the water!!

Wow! Thank you for responding and sharing the history of this forum! While facebook is a great and easy way to chat with each other, it does not have the commonality that this Discussion forum does. If you are new here, you don't know who to even look for to friend on Facebook to join in on the daily chatter. So, while it works for those who have known each other for years, it kind of leaves newer folks out of it. I'd love to see something daily that encourages anyone and everyone who visits the site to jump in and write.

I've been thinking about maybe starting fun "theme" days here. It does not have to be organized in any fashion, and if someone does not want to play, obviously they don't have to! But a theme day would be a day that starts out with, say for instance, Monday. The theme would start with a M. Tuesday a T, etc., etc.,

Some ideas I had were Most on My Mind Monday (MOMMM), Tolerant Tuesday, Wondering Wednesday, Thankful Thursday.

I'd stay away from the weekends because we all get so busy that it's just a crap shoot (oops) of who comes in here. And the beginning word does not always have to be the same one! The more creative you get the better!

The theme can be crazy, fun, hilarious, touching, and everything in between because there are NO RULES!

So I am going to take a risk and try it. If it flops then I'll write a post later on a Friday of course, called FLOPPING FRIDAY. LOL.

I'll be back later to start if someone else hasn't started Mondays' post, I am running late right now and gots to go!

Judy in MI

I always read and try to get to know here on a different level than FB first with most people and prefer here but FB takes over so much of life it is sad.. Anything to help out new members is great by me... and will do what I can. Some days I feel as though I have not much to contribute except hi and how are ya!! My forums are pretty quiet because Dr West does such a great job of answering medical questions for us!!