Chemotherapy for NSCLC Patients

KatieB

Chemotherapy for Non-smallCell Lung Cancer

Marianne J. Davies, MSN, APRN, CNS-BC, ACNP-BC, AOCNP-BC and

Amanda E. Reid, MSN, APRN, ANP-BC

Introduction

There are several treatment strategies available for Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These include

surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and palliative care. Patients may be treated with one type of treatment or a combination of treatments. This chapter reviews the use of chemotherapy

in the treatment of NSCLC.

Chemotherapy is a form of treatment that is distributed throughout the body to kill cancer cells.

Chemotherapy kills not only the rapidly dividing cancer cells but also some rapidly dividing normal cells in

the body. Some of the normal cells that can be affected by chemotherapy include cells in the gastrointestinal tract, bone marrow, and hair follicles. This effect on normal tissue results in side effects.

Chemotherapy agents that are selected to treat NSCLC have been approved for use after extensive clinical

research. Some of these chemotherapy agents have been approved in combination with each other.

Chemotherapy agents are identified by the generic name and brand names, and either name is used when

treatment is explained to patients (Appendix).

MORE: http://lungcancercap.org/choices/pdf/3_ ... 052112.pdf

• 5 months later...

Just reaching 10 months into my battle with lung cancer. I'm Stage IV NSCLC, however, as of my last scans I'm 97-98% cancer free. I have a question...are steroids absolutely necessary. I was with one cancer hospital and they said I could go off them, but I'm now at a new place and they are saying I should stay on them. Thoughts?

Hi peppermint and a heartfelt congratulations on your big fight!! I just joined the forum yesterday so all this is new to me. But I look up to all your stories and draw tons of inspiration from it. Wish you the best and NEVER GIVE UP! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the recommendation of asking over at CancerGRACE.org.

I'll make a wild guess, though, that once treatment is done they should probably be able to wean you off the steroids.

Excellent to hear you had a great response to treatment.

Best hopes,

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.