Newly Dx Stage 4 Lung Ca

In April 2012 my husband was being treated for what we thought was a sinus infection. He was beginning to tire easily, but was still doing normal things. We went to Las Vegas to celebrate our 1st anniversary the last of April and came home May 5th. He was still eating, but tired more quickly, and spent most afternoons in bed. Coming home May 5th he found food did not taste good and it became difficult to eat. Once home the Dr. went through 4 antibiotics and a chest x-ray showed double pneumonia. A week later he was admitted to the hospital and found the Stage 4 Lung cancer with mets to the liver. A liver biopsy was done. We found out May 25th, 2012. He has had 3 chemo tx so far. He has a 2 week break and then more.

Yesterday and today he is having nausea and vomiting of bile. He took a Zofran and we will notify the on call nurse today.He is not one to be depressed and is keeping his spirit and determination up. I'm hoping to read and gain support from other stories on this forum.

welcome to the forums. Sorry we do have to meet this way but glad we have. it takes a little time for things to start working. What treatments is he on now?? how is he feeling physically ! I know this is emotionally tolling on you but have faith that it will get better! How do you like our Oncology team? are they answering your questions without scaring you? do you know what they are telling you and do you trust them??

it is good that his fighting spirit is good right now that is important! call nurses asap if not might consider a trip to Er for check up to make sure everything is ok just in case!

take a look through he good news and the inspiration forums for some pick me up emotional help might make you feel a little less nervous and anxious about all this stuff going on right now!

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last August. Everyone responds to chemotherapy differerently. You are doing the right thing to let your medical team know your husband is having a bad reaction. I also had much vomiting and waited for awhile to let my doctor know. I finally called and let them know and they told me to go to my Cancer Centers Urgent Care. I was severely dehydrated and my electrolytes were severely imbalanced. They were able to treat me and gave me other meds for nausea and vomiting. I have a great oncologist and he told me he would rather hear from me and have him be able to make the decision about my symptoms being normal or acceptable. It is not necessary to tough it out. That is what your medical team is for. Chemotherapy is tough, but there are things that can be done for the patient to make it more bearable and safe for the patient. If you are worried about your husband call and let his doctor or on call nurse know what is happening. They should be able to advise you. There is always someone on call in oncology. this is a wonderful place for support and to ask questions. I am still surviving with stage 4 cancer. I made it through chemo. There are lots of resources on this site. All the best to you and your husband. My thoughts are with you as you get through this challenging time.

also you will probably see more replies tomorrow since it is a weekend. let us know if you have questions ! we are in and out all day today so.. well I am at least! Can not speak for everyone!! :wink:

Hi Paldridge,

Welcome to LCSC,it will a pleasure to get to know you,this place was such a blessing to me from the moment I arrived over three years ago,the buddies here are so supportive,caring and experienced in every aspect of this disease.Each of us have different experiences,no two of us share exactly the same dx or type of treatments,but collectively we can make a positive contribution in supporting a postee through sharing with them the difficulties they face in fighting this disease.

Where you require some advice on more technical aspects of lung cancer you can refer to www.cancergrace.org,by sending a question to a team of lung cancer oncologists,they will respond promptly to answer your question.

Please pass on to your husband my best wishes and my admiration of him for his courage in the face of this disease,I do believe having this attitude helps enormously in the fight back against lung cancer,best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paldridge,

So sorry we had to meet this way. I hope your hubby is getting his nausea under control.

My husband was also treated for pneumonia for 2 months before they decided to do an x-ray and found he had a 7cm NSCLC mass wrapped around the main bronchus on the right which made it inoperable as well as mets to the liver. This put him at stage IV and after 7 chemo treatments and 35 radiation treatments 4 ½ years later he is still here and ready to celebrate his 77th birthday next month. This can be an emotionally and physically draining experience on both of you. So, as many others on this site have told me numerous times over the years, don’t forget to take care of you. Never give up hope and keep up the fight.

Denise

Hi - I'm sure sorry you have reason to be here, but am glad you found us. There really isn't much I can add to what everyone else has said - all great advice, especially the cancer grace site if you have medical questions. And of course you should never hesitate to call the doctor or go to the ER. Your husband's story is all too common - it seems doctors wait too long before considering cancer and many of us have had to struggle to get diagnosed.

I hope you come back often. It is a good place to vent - there are many here who have been just where you are.

I will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts. Keep us posted as to how you are both doing.

Diane

• 4 weeks later...

paldridge,

How are things currently? Was the specific type of lung cancer determined? (Adenocarcinoma? Squamous cell? Large cell? Small cell? something else?) Were any specific gene tests done? (Those don't apply to all types.)

Best hopes,

Craig