A Cancerversary celebration

cat127

Two weeks ago, about 80+ people gathered to celebrate that on May 19th, my sister hit the 5-yr mark since her diagnosis of locally advanced (3b) NSCLC. We had a Paris theme to our party, with a gorgeous cake made by a local French pastry chef and cookies in the shape of the Eiffel tower. I told everyone the 10yr cancerversary party would be held in Paris so they should start saving now. We toasted her with sparkling white wine, and with one bottle of an expensive champagne that I bought in Paris two years ago, specifically for this party, yet scared that the party wouldn't happen. But it did, and it was AWESOME.

When she was first diagnosed and heard what the statistics were, I told her - well someone has to beat those odds, why not you? And beat them she did. It was hard to feel hopeful in those first months, but people on this site always gave us reason to believe. I hope her story is able to give folks that are new here reason to hope and believe as well.

wooohooo ! never got to Paris but saw south France on the seaboard near Monaco!!

Congrats on that milestone!!

Hi Cat127,

Thank you for sharing such an uplifting post,loved the Paris themed party idea.October this year sees my forth year of being a LC survivor,despite my GP only giving me two.

Just thinking, I live in Scotland,Paris is not that far away,I've never been to Paris,so howsabout sending me a wee invitation to join in your sisters 10th anniversary,it will be my pleasure to buy (and share) a bottle of bubbly with her.

• 2 weeks later...