old cunning is better than young speed

lilyjohn

A farmer had a number of hens but only one very old rooster. He decided that he needed a younger rooster to help service his hens. He bought a young rooster with a loud crow and a very proud strut. When the new rooster saw the old rooster he told him he had to stay away from all of the hens. He said they all belonged to him now because the old rooster was too old to handle the job anymore.

The old rooster decided he would try to reason with the young one but to no avail. Finally he asked the young rooster if he could have just one hen. "No" said the young rooster "go away and don't bother me or my hens".

The old rooster decided to try one more tactic. He said to the young rooster "why don't we have a race around the barn. If you win I leave and you have all of the hens with no more problems from me. If I win I get just one hen for company." The young rooster thought " I am young and strong and in good form. What will it harm and I can show all of my hens how fast and powerful I am." With that he agreed to the race.

As they were getting ready to start the old rooster said 'You know I am old and slow and you are so much faster why don't you give me a head start?" The young rooster decided there was no harm in that. He could surely out run that old rooster with no effort so he agreed.

The old rooster took off and was about 1/3 way around the barn when the old rooster took off after him. As they rounded the corner of the barn a shot rang out. The farmer lowered his gun and said to his wife "damn that's the third gay rooster this week."