Mom has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC

markwilly

I decided to join this forum as my mom has recently been diagnosed with Stage 4 None Small Cell Lung Cancer. We live in South Africa and I want the best available options for my mom.

A PET scan has revealed that she has a tumour mass measuring 4,5cm x 3cm in the right lower lung as well as a right sided retrocrural lymph node measuring 2cm in length situated anterior to the vertebral body of T11. Another small nodule is visible adjacent to the right hilum.

Due to her lung function being only 51% of normal capacity, surgery has been ruled out. (Mom has never smoked except passively as my father was a heavy smoker)

Mom started chemo using Carboplatin and Vinorelbine two weeks ago. I would appreciate any advice I can get as to whether or not this is the best route to follow.

Can you be more specific about what kind of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) it is? Adenocarcinoma? Squamous cell? Large cell? something else? (NSCLC is a category, not a specific type.)

Can you tell us if any tests of the "driving mutation" have been done, like for EGFR or any of several others?

Best hopes,

Craig in PA

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your post. I have asked my Mom's oncologist to supply me with all the details as I do not have the answers to the questions you were asking. I will post my response as soon as I have received all the information.