MOM NSCLC stage 4. Back/stomach pain can anyone relate?

lovelife

Hi everyone,

Mom has been off chemo since Ocober 2012. Her scans have been stable for a while now, until a reoccurence in the brain...she had gamma knife procedure done in october for the two new tumors.... That is when all chemo was stopped, especially that dr did chest xray on lungs and they were still clean. Since she is off chemo and steriods she is fatigued, weak, loss of appetite, I think depressed. I spoke to doctor said might be from coming off chemo and etc.. Since October I have heard her complain on/off about stomach ache and back pain, but then it went away so fast. According to her....Long story short I just called the doctor again last thursday b/c she lost about 10 pounds and her appetite is not the greatest, seemed to be eating more, but forcing her. The doctor pushed up her pet scan till december 6th instead of watiing to january the orignial date....but this saturday I went to visit her and her back was killing her, never seen her like this, I felt terrible. It hurt to lay down felt better sitting. It was on her right side, and somewhat moved around to her front of her stomach. She said not pitching or piercing pain more of a constant dull pain... she said its so hard to even explain.... so she went to hospital this past saturday, due to hurricane our hospital is still not up and running 100%. so she saw the dr on call, who did a xray of lung because the area she was saying hurt was where her one and only lung tumor is (this tumor is dead and has been for some time) said he didnt see anything unusual from xray and the tumor wasnt pressing on her spine or anything.... so she is going back tomorrow for pet scans and her follow up for her brain MRI which was scheduled since last month. She keeps saying she might have just pulled her back out? or from my understanding this could mean a re-occurence of the cancer? I asked the nurse and she said yes thats why we want to do pet scan to make sure....Has anyone got pains this back and stomach... Its hard b/c I dont know what it feels like b/c she cant really describ it... but you can tell it hurts b/c she switches positions a lot and cant get comfortable laying down. I'm not sure what to think. Staying positive of course, and hoping for the best. Tomorrow is her brain & pet scan and she will she the oncologist. I visited her today, she looks weak and tired, just not my chipper mom....Crazy ever since she stopped chemo and steriod she has been not doing so well, but during her whole year of treatment you wouldnt even know she was fighting this terrible disease until now. Any input would help! Hope everyone is doing well!

Thanks

I'm really sorry to hear about this new worry for your mom. I think that is one of the worst side effects of this disease is that it is so hard not to think every problem is a recurrence. I have some pains that sound similar to your Mom's, but mine don't last more than a couple days at a time. I think it is a good thing they are doing the PET scan, and hope you can find a way not to worry too much until then - although I know that is pretty much impossible. I will be keeping your Mom in my prayers and hope she feels better soon.

Well, I'm going to offer an opinion out of left field: Kidney Stone. Left Field? Well kidney stones are much more common in men than women. So it is unlikely your mother actually has one. On the other hand, a kidney stone is more likely to form when the person/patient does not drink enough water. Consider this just something to ask your mom's doctors about.

Oh Ya: There are treatments for kidney stones. I've had a couple. Rick.

Thanks Diane & Rick for responding to my post. I feel so helpless I just want my mom to feel better. I was thinking kidney stones as well. Mom said the doctor didnt think so, which i was hoping it was something like that. Today is her appt, so she will get all her scans and hopefully figure out this mystery. It just seems after chemo session ended and off steriods she went down hill. She has done so great this past year it was just unbelievable. Until the two tumors formed in the brain last month..... Hopefully this is just a bump in the road for her, and she will continue on her road to recovery.

Thanks for all your support its much needed and sooo much appreciated.... Hope you are both doing well!! :)

Hi Muriel, I believe they somewhat slowly took her off the steriods...but I cant be positive. My mom has terrible Arthritis and has had it since 1983. She was on Medication since then, a lot of different medicines, even gave herself injections.... and stopped all treatment for arthritis once diagnosed. I noticed last week her hands were swollen and I can tell it was the arthritis b/c thats what is always has done in the past. I just find it strange that the pain in now in her stomach, and she has such a hard time describing the feeling. She is actually getting scans done as I type.. Fingers crossed. Thanks for everyones support. Waiting is the absolute worst part...your mind really plays tricks on you. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I know I have a lot to be thankful for this year.

****Thinking of Susan Gamble and her family- I miss her.

Laurie