Never Thought I would be here

Hello, On dec 28 2012 my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer.. My world was crushed.. I just do not have a clue how to accept this and be strong for her.. We still do not know what stage of cancer she is at.. She has to have a lymph node biopsy.. I think we are looking at stage 2 or 3 cancer.. I am terrified, angry, and in disbelief.. I just never tought I would be here. My mom is only 54 just too young. I feel alone and lost. I have no siblings and no one really understands because they have not been where I am...I hope that joinging this community that I can get support give support and gain strength for my mother.

we understand what your going through. a lot of us have walked the same path before!! the fear and the trepidation subsides when the answers start to come in and the treatment starts.. then your minds go, "Ok now it is fight time, time to kick butt and take names" right now being scared is the normal thing for most people in this stage. my advice is take a lok at the good news forum and the Inspirational forums to ease your mind. the good news will show you the success stories here at LCSC!!! the Inspirational forum will give you some stability and comfort for now . please keep us posted as the answers start to come in. Oh and if you get the, "Your Mom has this much time left speech" dont read into it. most here have beaten that one many times over and we don't really put a lot of belief into that statement... It is just a scare thing we think...

Hi Sammi,

Welcome to LCSC,I am a lung cancer survivor myself,I was dxd in 2008,still here and thriving despite my appointed lung nurse and GP giving me a maximum of two years to live.I can well understand the anxiety you are feeling at this moment in time,gosh it so takes me back to 2008,this dx does take a bit of time to absorb and adjust to.

I promise you,there is light at the end of the tunnel,lung cancer can be survived,my friend Robert Lowe was dxd with SCLC in 1993,given two months to live by his medical team,he asks for the best treatments available to extend his life,he has a chemo regime of such strength he is hospitalised during its administation,on more than one occassion his family were called to his bedside,since his Docs did'nt think he would see the next day,well to their amazement Robert makes a full recovery.Then in 2007 Robert is dxd with NSCLC,has his treatments,makes a full recovery,Robert celebrates this year 20 years of survivorship.Needless to say i want to follow in Roberts footsteps.I have since discovered many new friends who are long term survivors of lung cancer.

There are many lung cancer survivors here on this site,I am sure will be along soon,each with their own lung cancer experiences to share with you,I have so much to share with you,that I am sure will encourage you,in the meantime,please pass onto your Mother my very best wishes to her for a successful outcome to her tests and the recommended treatment plan devised by her medical team.Bye for now.

I too understand the fear you are feeling. I too have been there with my husband. Please visit our other forums for a wealth of information as well as support. You are in a community of people who truly care.

Let us know how you're doing ((hugs))

Hi Sammi -- I am a patient, not a caregiver, but as you can see we have many caregivers here who know what you are going through. I do believe that the beginning is the most frightening part of this journey. Once you know exactly what you and your mom are dealing with, and they have a treatment plan in place, it does get easier. I was 50 the first time I was diagnosed - that will be 15 years in April. It is now over 4 years since my diagnosis in 2008. I was stage 2 the first time, and stage 3 the second. If you look around you will see many members who have survived for years with this diagnosis.

Please keep us posted on how you and your Mom are doing. This is a great place to come even if just to vent. You will find nothing but support and caring here.

I just want to say thank you to everyone that responded.. Your kind words and encourgment has placed a smile on my face .

I am excited to see that there are so many surviors that gives me so much hope. Tomorrow we go meet the Thoracic surgeon to schedule her lymph node biopsy.

This experinced has brought out one positive it has affirmed my desire to go into pathology and made that flame burn brighter..

I will keep you all posted and would love to hear everyone's stories.. Again thanks so much!!!!

Hi there,

I am a nearly 10 year survivor trying to catch up with Donna G! I just wanted to welcome you and tell you to take heart, it's a tough time during the uncertainty of diagnosis, but don't lose hope.

Cindy

I just wanted to welcome you also. I am so glad you found us!

I was diagnosed with stage 4 when I was 47. I am going to be 54 like your mom next month - that is 6 years living with lung cancer! I am assuming you are close to the age of my children. I remember clearly the fright, tears, and anger in their eyes. I worried they would never be able to get past it, but they have and you will too. I am not saying they are ok with the fact that I have cancer, not at all, but they are not letting it define their lives or mine anymore. It is a PART of our lives, it is by no means the BIGGEST part of our lives.

Once your mom has the biopsy results and has a plan for treatment you will both start to process the information more clearly and will have less a sense of being lost and more a sense that you have a plan and a way to fight.

Like the others have told you, read the good news forum, read the My Story forum, come here often with your questions and please let us know how things are going.

Peace

Hey everyone..

Yesterday my moms cancer was given a name, Adenocarcinoma which is a NSCLC type of cancer. The tumor is in her left lung lets say it's about as wide as a baseball and is very close to the aorta. The surgeon wants to take her entire left lung or at least the upper lobe if he can.. We have three more tests to see if surgery is an option.

on the good side of this is the fact that the majority of Lung Cancer cases are adenocarcinoma and it is the most common and most researched form of Lung cancer. not the only but the most common!