Helping those with LC

KatieB

I think the simplest thing, but sometimes the hardest, is to try to keep a positive/optimistic attitude and surround yourself with those type of people. This journey is tough enough and you don't need a lot of negative or pessimistic people around. And I don't just mean negative toward your diagnosis -- I mean just plain negative people. If at all possible - avoid them.

In addition to Diane's great advise, I would remind them that laughter really is good medicine. Sometimes the goofy things that pop into your head would sound crazy to those around you, but *bleep* them, if you can find something to laugh at, do it!

On just my 4th or 5th appt I was to begin treatment, chemo & radiation. I asked for a power port and the doctors scheduled it's insertion that morning. Because I had so much pain on my right shoulder, I asked that they put the port on my left side of my chest. Both sides had a tattoo and the doc said he wasn't sure he could avoid damaging my ink no matter which side the port was put on. I told him my tattoos were the least of my worries right now, just do a good job.

I wound up with what I named "my mutant ninja port" and some called "FrankenKitty". Lotsa strange looks, a few giggles and some outright guffaws resulted. Each time a new person had to access my port it was a new reaction. The bottom line was I got to laugh, every single time! I even got family to laugh about it.

post-55589-141270980056_thumb.jpg

OH, and ALWAYS try to bring someone with you for those first few appts! Write down your questions so you can check them off when you have answers for each of them and ask your friend ~ who ever you brought ~ ask them to take notes or help you take them. No matter how much you already understand or how much your doc tries to keep it simple, your brain is going 111 mph and you will miss, or feel like you missed something. A 2nd set of eyes & ears is a HUGE help.

Love the Frankenkitty too! And love your responses, perfect! I would like to add, take care of yourself. Sounds simple, but it is hard, especially if you have always been the one to do it all for everyone else. This is your time to take care of yourself. It is your job now. If you need help, ask for it, if you need a nap, take one, if you need to stay in your pajamas all day, go for it! No guilt, this is what you NEED to do to stay strong.