I have a question

Tammy

My Mom goes Tuesday for her first Chemo treatment. She was wondering why they say eat dry toast? I would think they don't want you to sit down and eat a plate full of greasy eggs but could she eat a banana or a muffin? Just thought someone might be ablr to help. I am making blueberry muffins right now and thought if she could eat that before she went I would take one to her.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I have never heard that one! But, then again, I am still learning day after day!!

I ate everything I always did when I did my Chemo. I did NOT get sick. I got a little lightheaded the first few days, but that was about it! I ate Pizza while I did my chemo! I would guess it has to do with how she will react to the chemo, so they want it to be something soft. Which would be easier on her. I ate like a horse before my first chemo, cause I didn't know how much I would eat after!! :) Many members of my Lung Cancer Support Group never got sick with there chemo either. So, tell your mom to do what I did. Put a party hat on and go do her chemo with a positive attitude, and say to herself, and you, and anyone else she wishes to say this to: "I can do this and NOT GET SICK"! Mind over matter!

They have come a LONG ways with the new chemo's and anti-nausea drugs today. I know for me, I had to have my anti-nausea medication given to me very slowly before my chemo. It did seem to make the difference in the lightheadedness.

Good luck! Tell you to try really hard to stay positive. It really does help!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

I don't know anything about the dry toast, maybe a precaution that one should eat something, but not something that might make one nauseated. having said that speculation, there were no restrictions given to Lucie, my wife, as she has gone through chemo. We always bring something to snack on, and even bring a lunch if it is going past noon. Lucie's chemo normally takes about 4 hours, so we go prepared for that time. I have found the kitchen there so I usually make her some hot tea or iced tea, and get coffee for myself. Lucie has never been sick during the chemo treatment, but about 4 days later, it hits. Don

Thanks! You guys are great! Its so nice to be able to talk to people that are going through this. I have so many questions and I feel like the best people to ask is someone that is going through it and understands. I know they didn't tell Mom to bring anything to munch on but I am going to just incase thanks Don. Connie my mom needs to eat like a horse she weighs 90lbs and always has she is so tiny. I hope we can keep her eating she can't afford to loose any. We are keeping are chins up and kick this in the butt :lol: Dad still won't talk about it so I don't think he feels to comfortable with it but he will. Thanks Again so much.

Tammy

Tammy

Get some Boost or Ensure for your mom.

It will help with her weight.

My husband Gianni didn't get sick until the last two treatments. He also slept quite a bit with the last two. We went out to eat many times after chemo. So it just depends.

Rosanne

Tammy,

Whatever my Mom wanted, I gave to her! If she'd eat it.. I'd get it. Didn't care.. if it was food and she wanted to eat it, I feed it to her. Sure is scarey to she someone drop thirty pounds.. As long as she felt like she was not having nausea.. if there was a threat of losing what was gained I would not give her something greasy.. but there were times when I gladly took her to McDonalds for some greasy french fries and a chocolate shake! :lol:

Laurie