Diagnosed 10 weeks ago - NSCLC stage IV but improving

Got the surprise of my life on February 20. A healthy 60 year old non-smoker diagnosed with lung cancer, later to learn it had spread to 3 other areas, including my brain. However, Tarceva (and perhaps radiation) has done a wonderful job at pushing it back for now. I decided to go public with my illness and put a positive spin on it, to help myself, family and friends to better cope. Below is the blog I've been keeping up to date.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Welcome to LCSC,its a pleasure to meet you,looking forward in getting to know you,I have'nt yet got round to reading your link,but I will.Sorry to hear of your dx,I too was dxd at age sixty with NSCLC,although I have to admit my cancer was probably brought on by my smoking small cigars for 30 plus years,I never really appreciated the risk I was taking,well it said on the packet ,mild cigars,I also read somewhere that cigar and pipe smokers had a low risk in getting lung cancer,yeah right.I always consider it such an injustice that non-smokers can be affected by lung cancer,although no one, smoker or not, deserves a lung cancer dx.

I do hope you will hang around for a while,we have a Just for Fun forum where contributers can share the everyday goings on in their world,I just love reading the posts of other buddies here.I also contribute to posting photos into the Members Photo Album forum,I am a keen amateur photographer,and have sent in many blocks of my pics of the USA,and indeed of my beautiful home Bonnie Scotland,so bye for now,hope to hear from you again soon.

Hey I have just noticed I have posted 1314 times,an auspicious date for Scots,it was in that year Sir Robert the Bruce beat the English in the Battle of Bannockburn,giving Scotland its Independance.Next year 2014,the 700th Anniversary,we Scots go to the Polls to vote in a Referendum to accept or not Scotland to become an Independent Nation again.

Welcome Craig! I just read through some of your blog, you put such a humorous spin to the whole process, I see a book in your future! You have such a good attitude which will take you far in your healing and emotional health.

As always with new members, I am sorry you had to meet us, but so glad you did. This is such a wonderful site for people to find answers and support and to just make new friends who understand what they are going through. I too have been through the "Hannibal Lecter" mask and marveled at the cost of that tiny pill! I have also had "ants crawling on my head" as well as many, many of the other Tarceva side effects. You can check out my story below yours, it is "5 years! - Janet B's story". I am 6 1/2 years now!

keep us posted and visit here often -

Peace

janet

• 5 months later...

Hi Craig!

I'm so glad to hear that Tarceva is helping to push everything back. Please keep us updated with your success. I'd love to see more of your writing soon. :)

Alyssa125 - Welcome to you as well!! Sorry you had to find us but we are glad to have you here. Pull up your favorite brew and check out our other boards too.

I'm so happy to know that the Tarceva is helping you Craig. Many of our members have had great success with this drug. When my husband was told to take this medication our insurance wouldn't cover it. We paid out of pocket for it because we heard so many good things about it! I look forward to hearing more good news from you :)