is gemzar strong? dad is vomiting more than usual after this

any good or bad things from gemzar? Dad started on it last week, I think he should not get chemo this week if he is not healthy enough. I am worried about him, eventhough he says he will fight on. Any natural remedies for nausea??? thanks

ray

Gianni only threw up one time when he got pneumonia.

He had gemzar alone one week and with carboplatin the next with 3 weeks off. The medicine did the trick. The first doctors gave him pills to take at home the second just gave medicine with chemo. Sorry I can't help more.

Rosanne

Dear RayRoy,

I've sort of been holding off saying anything to you about Gemzar. It's supposed to be a "kinder/gentler" chemo, but of all the chemo meds I have had, Gemzar made me the sickest. I don't remember throwing up--I think I have an iron stomach--but 2 days after each infusion, I would run very high fevers--103 for example.

I was supposed to get an infusion once a week for three weeks and then have a week off. I never made it to the third week because of low platelet counts. In the end, Gemzar did not shrink my tumor, but I did not have any tumor progression either.

Question: Does your Father receive an anti-nausea drug along with his chemo? I've always had this at the time of my chemo. It can be given by infusion or in pill form. This is really critical.

I think a lot of people have had success with Gemzar, but your Dad needs to share his negative experience with his oncologist. He or she will help you and your Dad make a good decision about your next step.

Thinking of you,

Ada