Ammmm Backkkkk.

Don

Hello everyone,

It seems that the sclc I had just wasnt enough so I had to have a biopsy of my right lung last Thursday. Results came Monday (POSITIVE). Something called adrenal carcinoma. Since I have COPD and Asthma tomorrow I go in to pulmanary clinic to have lungs tested to see if the can withstand surgury. Then next Monday I get a PET Scan to see if it has moved anywhere else. Hoping that it has not moved anywhere then I am a surgical canidate. If it has I get the chemo crappola drink. At least this time they didnt start the conversation you might have 2 weeks to 2 months to live. It hard getting in touch or control of my feelings about this because it could mean I have to sell my ranch and really retire. That seems like a death sentence. Well that is about all I know for now but will keep you posted.

Good luck and God bless.

Don

Don - I wasn't a member when you went through your initial cancer treatment and I am so sorry you are having to deal with this monster again. I do know what it's like to think you've beat it only to find out you have to do it one more time. As I'm sure you remember from the first time, this period before treatment can be in some ways the most difficult because things are still so uncertain. It will be great if they can do surgery, and I will be praying that is the case. Please keep us posted.

Hello All,

OK I think I have the spelling correctley now. adenocarcinoma but I am not sure at right at this minute don't care LOL. I had the breathing test yesterday and passed BUT I was so boderline it was like sitting on a barbed wire fence. Doc said if the upper right lobe with the cance turns out to be a bad lobe (meaning full of COPD) then surgury is very possible. If its a good lobe no can do. Then on to chemo and maybe some forms of radiation. So as it stands to date on Monday(12 Aug)(oh shi_, thats the date my ex-wife and I got married)LOL I will have the PET scan to see if it's located in more than one place. Following that I will have a oxygen test that reveals how much function each lobe has. Those answers will tell us where to go.

I had a very enjoyable ride this morning on one of my customer horses. Quote. Winston Churchill. “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. I believe this to be true. As a horse trainer I see things that need to be fixed how that horse does their job but I realize it can only be done over a period of time to be done correctly. If that fits waiting out cancer so be it.

I hope things are going right wherever and whoever you are.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Heelo all. Thanks for the well wishes. I have several answers from tests and from the tumor board.

1. No I am not a canidate for lung removal since tumor actually crosses between upper and lower right lobe. COPD plays a major factor also.

2. No radiation. During my treatment for SCLC I received the max radiation allowed.

3. They are/have sent my biopsy off to a lab to design a designer chemo for my type NSCLC. I thought that was pretty cool stuff. Also it looks like I ill be able to take it by mouth and not have to spend so many hours at hospital.

My next appointment is 3 Sep 13 with oncologist to discuss when wheres and hows. I was told to keep riding horses and doing my ranching. That I could and would die of natural causes long before this type cancer can get me. So that's what I will do. Just keep doing what I do and not worry about it.

Today I went to Golden Corral and had a ribeeye steak, nice prime rib stead, several buttterfly fried shimp along with many regular fried shrimp and a whole bunch of catfish.

Topped it off with Peach Cobbler and then a bowl of ice cream when I got home. Remember my fat cow therory. Well I do enjoy my way of doing things. Also got 3 young horses to start breaking this week. Life is good, depending if your looking up or if your looking at the ground. That is your decision to make.

Hope this finds all of you well and if your not then get well. Open a tub of ice cream and smile.

Don

Don, I haven't been to the board for a while and I just read about your new cancer. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but I must say your positive attitude will help you and inspire others. Sounds like you have a lot to enjoy there on the ranch and I hope you can and will enjoyo it for a long time to come. Know that you will be in my prayers. Will be looking in here in September to see what treatment plan the doctor has planned for you. In the meantime , take care and God bless you.

Hugs,

Sue

Well, I won't say welcome back. I am sorry to hear that you have to interrupt your life to battle cancer, once again. It sounds like if anyone can beat it it is you. I have been through the surgery and it's not so bad. Let's hope that's all you will need!

Best wishes and good thoughts,

Jackie

Hi Don,

sorry to hear that you are back in battle mode with a new lung situation. I hope that the doctors zero in on exactly the right treatment for you and you get underway soon to get rid of the monster.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All. Today is 3 Sep and my appt is in the history books. I know some of you might frown on my decision but after a long discussion here is the jest of it.

1. No surgury. COPD says no way.

2. Radiation. Lungs have seen to much already. Maybe some pinpoint rads if and when but lets not push it.

3. Designer chemo. Nope. The makeup of my non small cell does not have a current blueprint. Just basic in the veins chemo and if it don't work switch to another kind.

Those options are not much to choose from so I changed the rules. I am opting NOT to have any treatment and continue my quality of life until such time that the cancer has to be treated. This cancer is a so growing type that I might just luck out and die of some natural causes before it can strike. I have been scheduled for a PET scan every 5 months so it will be monitored by my oncologist but I have all say so in my life.

Now here is te funny part: My oncologist asked me today how much a month I charge to train or retrain a customers horse. She is interested in me retraining her jumping horse so I guess she must have faith in me hanging around.

I am a firm believer in having quality of life over quanity. I hope that this letter finds it way to the person that is looking for answers and in some way helps.

Take care and God Bless.

Don

I always check this site so if someone has a question please feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All.

Well my status is still the same. I will be receiving a PET scan on 3 Dec so will try and post update 7-10 days later if I remember to talk with oncologist. I have been looking at several different options about doing crazy things like eating shark heads and crap and I have decided to do the following:

1. Eat anything that I feel like eating.

2. I have purchased a 60 day supply of a detox stuff that has volcanic ash or something like that in it.

It says that it flushes the body of metals or something like that. I really hate to get technical and fill my head with too much info.

3. Between now and whenever I get to GNC I will be starting a daily multi vitamin that I took in the past that seemed to have a :lol: effect on me. No not pot either. Altho I wouldnt mind (not smoke) cooked in brownies.

Now that is all I am going to do between now and Mar/Apr 2014. I won't mention name brands until after I see what effects it has on me.

Now I have a bone to pick with some of you people. I keep reading about how you can't eat, I am losing weight and I am tired because I have cancer. STOP THAT NOW. You must be positive in your health and keeping weight on. I told all of you eat ICE CREAM. What do you have to lose but your life. I would rather die being fat and sassy than a bag of bones. Now if you need more clarification on what I just said then you have 2 choices. Get busy enjoying ice cream and such or go lay on the sofa and die. It is your choice. I have been there, done it, survive it and still breaking horses. Don't let this offend you take warning and eat.

God Bless

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I received my PET scan yesterday. Now if you remember I turn down any chemo treatments and have went my own direction. Well my oncologist called me today and can't believe what she sees. My tumor has already started shrinking. No I did not eat shark heads for those that get confused but I am detoxing my body. I have not started the vitamin stuff yet. I will continue detoxing until the end of Jan 14 and then will start daily vitamin stuff. My next scan will be in May 2014 at which time my doctor demands a face to face meeting. She is so curious as to what I am doing.

Katie told me of the Jan/Feb Lungivity conference in Dallas and I plan on being there. I hope I finally get to meet YOU so plan on attending.

God Bless

Don