34 years old hello again

Hello again,I would like to thank evryone who replied to my original posting about being 34 years old and going from here.I will take the info i get here and ask my dr. mon about the course of my treatments.I do feel that if my cancer is in the limited stage( one lung )that it should be attacked in the most aggressive manner possible.Especially since i am tolerating the chemo so well.I would like to tell all of you thank you for the kind words and for the insight.I have been a fighter all of my life and this disease brings out something in me to fight like i have never felt before.However i have realized i can not do this alone and need help. I will be visiting this site as often as possible and reading the postings.I feel like i know everyone here in a wierd sort of way.Right now i am off work and the particular job i have i dont know if i will be returning to work and my dr.does not know if or when i will be able to return to work.Should i apply for disability ?Am i going to go back to work ?I also have some other pulminary issues as well.Will i be approved for disability ?My dr. hasnt gave me a prognosis either is this strange or does he just not know ?I really have heard alot of good things about this dr. and the treatments seem to be going good but i like to be informed and i feel like the only info i get i have to pry out of my dr. Greg

Hi Greg,

Glad to see you back. On my first visit to the oncologist he suggested I might go on disability. I don't know what the future will bring, but as long as I feel able to work I want to continue to do so. If I sit at home, I just have more time to think and it can get depressing. Also, I have a lot of other issues to consider, such as insurance (health and life), my retirement benefits, wages, etc. How do you feel? What kind of leave options do you have? Could you live on disability? There are a lot of things to consider. I'm glad to hear you're a fighter, you'll need to be. As far as prognosis, be sure to read the following article.

http://www.cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html

Personally, I was told that my cancer was not operable and not curable. I know this is not always the case. My doctor also said that diabeties and high blood pressure are also inoperable and incurable, but they are treatable. The statistics I found didn't look very good, so I asked him in general terms what the realistic expected outcomes were. I was ready to hear this information, some people are not and would rather not know. The fact is, no one can know, there are just too many variables. Continue to fight and know that we're all in this with you.

Jenny

Dear Greg,

Welcome Greg, I am sorry you have the need to be here. Also, I would like to bring to your attention that you would best be posting your messages in the SCLC FORUM. I have noticed that you posted in the General forum (which is fine) and you posted in the LC in the News Forum.

It may be difficult to keep all the area's straight in your mind so posting to one area may be very helpful and much easier for you. But, none the less, Dave G, may opt to move your messages to the SCLC Forum just so everyone can reply to all your messages and offer you the best support we can. Having said all that.......

I noticed you mentioned you have other Pulmonary issues as well?? Greg, if they have not offered you radiation treatments, this may be a reason to why they haven't done so. I will also mention that it is VERY HELPFUL to get a tape-recorder and take it with you to your doctor's appointments. I'm sure your doctor will not have a problem with doing that. It is soooo hard to remember everything that is being said at your appointments and having it on tape is SO VERY HELPFUL to us patients. I know that's what I did when I went through my treatments many moons ago!

You also mentioned being on (3) different Chemo's. That's interesting! I would like to hear more about that. I have never heard that before. Could you share more inf. with us on that? Thank you!

You mentioned pain. Where was your pain at and what was causing it? Do they do CT scans on you? I'm sure they are doing blood work, right?

Also, I have survivors in my Lung Cancer Support Group here in Minnesota that are SCLC surviviors of 2+, 3+ years. I also know a lady who is a 14 year lung cancer survivor of SCLC. Being your's in Limited, that's a good thing. One of my members however, had her's spread to her liver and she is a 3+ year lung cancer survivor and doing VERY WELL!

Good luck and stay with us.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Greg,

Just wanted to welcome you here, I am so sorry you have to be here. :cry: You are too young.:(

My mom has extensive SCLC adn just finished her 4th course of treatment of carboplatin and VP-16. She is doing great. You have your age on your side for sure.

I am praying for you.

Greg,

Just wanted to welcome you here, I am so sorry you have to be here. :cry: You are too young.:(

My mom has extensive SCLC adn just finished her 4th course of treatment of carboplatin and VP-16. She is doing great. You have your age on your side for sure.

I am praying for you.

Greg,

I'm glad to hear that you are going to fight this horrible disease aggressively. You are young and healthy, and that is definitely a positive point in your favor. My husband is 31, and his doctors have told him because of his age and healthy they are going to be very aggressive with him. His LC is extensive, but I am thinking that at this stage in life, he is strong enough to beat this and wage the most aggressive battle available.

I'm also glad you found this board. It has done wonders for me, as I know I wasn't going to be able to handle this alone. I wish I could get my husband here too, as I think it would greatly benefit him, but he is not yet ready to talk to anyone about this (barely/rarely talks to me about it).

I would think you would be eligible for disability. Our doctors told us that Keith would be eligible for company sponsered disability even before he started his chemo, and that we could also apply for federal disability and social security at this time. We decided against that at this time, since he finds a lot of mental comfort and distraction being at work, and he wants to work as much and as long as possible.