Monday's Air

Bruce u

Well it was a really nice fall day on the farm yesterday and today.....rain. We do not need rain now for the hay fields, dugouts, etc. so it just messes up a nice day I think.

Hey Diane. You will have to tell me more about your colt training. I can definitely use the tips. LOL It will probably just end up being a pet and expensive lawnmower ! Companion for my other horse. Reading your story about visiting the coast and touring lighthouses brought back memories. I grew up on an island off the east coast of Canada. The Atlantic ocean was our playground. We had a really nice big lighthouse in my hometown but eventually all the lighthouses were automated. You still hear stories about the days of lighthouse keeper's.

Like you Diane, I don't like seeing summer end but I think fall is my favorite season. I have a lot of poplar tree's on my land and with the leaves changing color and falling is nice. Can't beat going for a walk in the woods on a crisp fall morning.

I think our high is going to be in the 60s – but so far the sun is out and so the weather is just about perfect. I love sweater weather. Our leaves don’t change as dramatically as they do on the east coast, but I agree with you Bruce, it’s hard to beat a walk in the woods in the fall.

My favorite lighthouse in Oregon is the Tillamook Lighthouse. It’s on a rock out in the ocean not far from where the Columbia River runs into the Pacific. It is only accessible by boat and that must have been pretty daunting back in the 1800s! Here’s a link to a picture of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USCG_ ... thouse.jpg

When we were living in Portland in the early 80s they decided to turn it into a mausoleum. As I remember for about $200 your ashes could be interred at the lighthouse. I thought that was so cool and planned to sign up – but guess I was too young to feel any urgent need and procrastinated too long – later someone decided maybe this wasn’t such a great idea and put a stop to it. I believe a few people actually were interred there. It would certainly be a challenge to visit a loved one, so probably is for the best :)

How is everyone else doing? Michelle, how are things on the farm where you are?

Hope everyone is having a good Monday.