Integrative methods with Tarceva

Marlene

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with Stage IV lung cancer and it turned out to be the EGFR mutation. I had a large tumor removed from my brain and am recovering okay from that. (That's how the cancer was discovered, the tumor affected my vision.) I have been on Tarceva for a month and will get scans soon to determine its efficacy. I have the mildest of skin rashes so far, but we'll see . . .

Does anyone have any information or sources for integrative or alternative therapies that will help without interfering with Tarceva? I have been told to stop most of my usual supplementation because of the lack of evidence on how they affect the medication.(I come from a raw vegan perspective so I'm in another world here.) I appreciate any input or insight.

Thank you all,

Marlene

Welcome Marlene. It is a good thing to have the EGFR mutation. As you may know, many people with the mutation do very well with Tarceva. I don't personally know a lot about alternative therapies. I know some seem to be okay, and some the doctors prefer you avoid. A few patients I've known have done acupuncture and integrated some specific teas and herbs that are purported to offer some benefit, but I would not do anything without an okay from my oncologist since I'm sure you wouldn't want to take a chance of decreasing the effect of the Tarceva. Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to offer more ideas. I believe some of the larger cancer centers now offer some information and assistance with incorporating alternative therapies.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi Marlene,

Our Foundation's website has an amazing "Ask the Experts" page within their website. There you can search for questions others have asked or you can even submit one yourself. They are all answered by experts. Here is the link http://expertblog.lungevity.org/ask-the-experts/

I agree with Diane about always asking your Oncologist first before you try anything.

Please keep posting and let us know what you discover.

• 1 month later...

Marlene,

I was diagnosed on 12/19/12 with stage IV NSCLC EGFR. I started taking Tarceva on 1/31/2012. I was on the highest dose and the rash came on pretty severe. My oncologist put me on a smaller dose which I am still on. My doctor is fully aware of my diet switch to basically vegetarian diet. I do take some supplements. I would recommend reading Life over cancer written by Keith Block. Lots of good information including foods and supplements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. I will check out the book ASAP. As I'm sure you know, clinical data on herb and supplement interaction with Tarceva is hard to come by. I am pursuing other ideas as well and will definitely post what I find.

May we all look forward to a peaceful, joyful new year . . .

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I live near the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment in Skokie, Illnois. Block doesn't require that you get cancer treatment from them and they will work with just the dietary and supplement protocol it that's all you want (which is what I'm looking for). Has anyone been to them or know of anyone's experience? I've read varying things about them. I know nothing is definitive and I'm just looking for any feedback from anyone.

Thanks,

Marlene

A special thanks to Stockster5 for the tip about Block . . .

Hi Marlene,

You may get quicker responses if you post specific questions in the forums with related titles. This forum is typically used for introductions. I know posting in a chat room can kind of be tricky. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me CAlmendarez@lungevity.org

Have a splendid day!

Hi Marlene,

Here is a link to videos of HOPE http://events.lungevity.org/site/PageSe ... s_of_Hope#

Latest video of HOPE http://events.lungevity.org/site/PageSe ... e=homepage

Our Survivor Resource Center packed with great resources http://events.lungevity.org/survivors/index.html

Blog posts from Survivors

http://blog.lungevity.org/category/lung ... urvivors-2

These are good places to visit. Please keep posting and letting us know how you are.

I hope you have a splendid day.