What's your lung cancer story?

KatieB

• 8 months later...

In 2002 I lost my husband of 43 years and my 37 year old son 9 months apart to cancer.I moved here to this part of florida to be closer to my daughter.I'm 75 years old and my health has gone steadily down hill since I moved. I've had several bouts of pneumonia this year and the last time I was in the hospital the doctors discovered I had small cell lung cancer in my right lung. it was 'hidden' by the pneumonia. After doing a pet scan they also said the cancer had spread to my bones.I have had two rounds of chemo and this coming Thursday I get another pET Scan. It is my hope by finding this place I will not feel so alone.

JayJay13 You are NOT alone. We have so many wonderful caring members here who would love to get to know you. The postings are somewhat slow this time of year I imagine because everyone is busy enjoying the summer weather but they will pop in when they can.

I'm so sorry to hear how lonely you feel. How far away does your daughter live? Is there a senior center there that you can visit?

I hope you hear from you soon dear one ((hugs))

You are very kind.My daughter lives miles away from me and she works as well as has a family.I don't drive and she and my son come up and drive me to appoinments but its a hardship on them. The American Cancer people have drivers but I am on a walker and oxygen. When I called them about transportation they said,"we don't want our volunteers to handle patients belongings." I cant fold my walker and put in a car on my own.:(

• 6 months later...

6 months ago as I found a lump on my neck thought I pulled a mussel ,went to my doctor and they said they needed cat scans, they found three masses under the collar bone , they took a biopsy. And then I was told I had sc cancer . It was like a nightmare . That's how it all started, my life was turned upside down. They started giving me chemo the next day, I have had 6 rounds of chemo . They did scans and they said the scans were great, I am a smoker and I have been so terrified I can't even quite that yet my nerves are a wreck. They said I have a good chance but I am having a hard time of believing them. They said it could go to the brain , they did do a scan of that ok so far. is there any out there that had this and is doing ok. I feel so lonely and so depressed

• 8 months later...

One of my friend diagnosed with lung cancer. It will detect when its become stage 3 lung cancer. After the cancer screening and its tests doctor recommend chemo + radiation. But cancer spared to liver. Then he had going through surgery. Situation was so critical at that time. But now his recovery is going well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been diagnosed with limited sclc and no lymph node involvement.  I had pneumonia in Aug and they found a spot on my lower right lung.  I am scheduled for surgery Dec 28 to have the lower lobe of my left lung removed.  It scares me that it has taken so long to get to the surgery.  I had to wait until the pneumonia cleared up then go through all the testing.  After surgery I am to go through chemo and then preventative brain radiation.  I am very apprehensive of the brain radiation.  I do not like the sound of the side affects at all.  I know the alternative is worse but what if it never goes that far?  Has anyone else ever declined the brain radiation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I was diagnosed with NSCLC malignant to the lung as well as pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema, and RBI-LD. I was given three years to live. How did I find out I had this living inside of me?

My illness began in August of 2014. I began running a fever consistently (twice a day) and just generally feeling tired all of the time. My doctor's thought I had some form of vasculitis. I had a CT Scan of the Chest in September of 2014 which was clear. Then, in March of 2015, I was hospitalized for a severe kidney infection. They did another CT of the chest because I had been coughing up blood. At that time, they found 20 nodules on both lungs. They wanted me to have it biopsied to confirm Wegener's Granulomatosis. I had a bronchoscopy in May and a nasal endoscopy in June. Both, were negative. In July, I met with a cardio-thoracic surgeon who scheduled an open lung thoracotomy. Nobody suspected cancer. Nobody. After surgery, my surgeon spoke to my husband and my mother and told them that the pathologist had believed it was cancer. A few days later, I was all alone in my hospital room when my surgeon and a few nurses told me that I have cancer. 

So here I am, four months later, living on oxygen. I go to Cancer Treatment Centers of America and UT Southwestern in Dallas. Currently, I am not getting treatments because I have had pneumonia six times since my surgery.

I am excited to get to know all of you!!

Thank you, Tom! I try to stay as positive as I can because I have three children dependent on me to survive. I have my moments when I get depressed and down, but then I realize that I am still breathing (well sort of) and get right back up again.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group!

http://appleneesyeyeswideopen.blogspot.com/

Appleneesey, consider joining other at the Regional Lungevity Hope Summit in Dallas /Ft Worth area. You will meet others who share similar cancer experiences. Some have already walked that walk and others just stepping into their spaces to begin their journey. Its educational and uplifting.

http://lungevity.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=607