Businesses:Your Consumers are Lung Cancer Advocates

CindyA

Businesses: Your Consumers Are Lung Cancer Advocates

November 21st, 2013 - by Katie Brown

Does your company or media outlet support and recognize lung cancer awareness month?

Lung cancer advocates love the month of November. I know I do. During November, Lung Cancer Awareness Month, there is a concerted effort among individuals and groups and sometimes even the media to shine a brighter light on the disease that kills more people than any other cancer.

While my advocacy is 12 months a year and I consciously try to raise awareness about lung cancer every day, there is definitely more energy and an urgency to get the word out during the month of November when more eyes are upon us than any other time of the year.

This month advocates are looking deeper at companies and media outlets that do or don’t recognize the importance of lung cancer awareness. Every 2.3 minutes someone is diagnosed with lung cancer. That person has a birth family and perhaps a family of their own. They have neighbors and coworkers and friends. That’s a lot of people who are watching to see if companies and media outlets care about lung cancer and the people it impacts.

Last month we watched the media, sports teams, and businesses turn pink. Did those same organizations and companies recognize Lung Cancer Awareness Month this month?

I make lasting consumer choices during this month based on who recognizes LCAM and who doesn’t. 1 in 14 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetimes. Lung Cancer kills more women than breast cancer, more men than prostate cancer and more people than the next four major cancers combined. That’s a lot of consumers impacted by lung cancer.

Organizations, businesses and media outlets need to rethink the lack of attention they are paying to this disease.

Advocates, this Black Friday and holiday shopping season (and all year long) we need to make our dollars count and only support those who support us.

Katie Brown lost her father to lung cancer. She is the Director of Support and Advocacy for LUNGevity Foundation, a certified patient navigator, and an 18 year cancer survivor. She also manages the Foundation’s social media and Blog.

http://blog.lungevity.org/2013/11/21/bu ... advocates/