update and a few worries

beatlemike

Hi everyone. I know since the takeoff of facebook that there isn't much traffic here but I would appreciate any and all input you may have. I had my yearly ct scan Thursday and I go see my onc. on Monday for results. I been feeling good overall but one area has me worried. This is kind of gross but I don't know how else to word it. I have been blessed with clear ned scans for seven years, but about the last 6 years I have had a lot of trouble with soft stools and diareaha. (excuse spelling). I had a colonosdomy five years ago and it was ok and they told me take fiber. They work for awhile and then quit. For the last two months I also have developed non stop gas, If Im not farting I am belging or burbing and a bloated stomach. Antiacids and all the other things help for a few hours and then it starts all over again. I am worried my lung cancer is back or maybe from the chemo I have developed liver or some other cancer. I always get nervous around scan time but this time I am more so. Any and all prayers for good scan results are appreciated. Has anyone else gone thru this? I was put on oxygen at bedtime about 2 years ago for sleeping but most times I don't use it because I really don't feel I need it at this point. I hope you are all doing fine with your journeys and I wish you all the best. I miss coming here daily and reading the many posts but I quess everything changes. I will post the results of my checkup after my visit with onc. May God bless and keep you all.

thoughts and prayers for good and great news .....

have you tried GasX by Chance??? just a thought for the intestinal issues... I get that way sometimes while not on Tarceva of course but on Synthroid like Katie and it does help with burps and Gas for me...

Do you use the finger held Oxygen meter?? You can get them at Walgreens for around 20 bucks and it works just like the hospital one also to check your pulse ox at home.. completely portable also...

Hope ya get great news and let us know how things are going this time... will send up some prayers for you and family...

Bruce – You would think that the longer we go being NED or, in my case Stable, the scans would get easier. I haven’t found that to be the case for me though, and my last scan at the 5-year mark was the most nerve wracking yet. It is easy to say, and hard to do, but keep in mind that for you to have a recurrence at this point in time would be pretty darn rare – it would be more likely an entirely new cancer, which is perhaps even more unusual. As everyone has pointed out, your symptoms can be caused by so many things. For me, it usually turns out to be diet (I have an awful time with processed “low fat” food) or medications. Another trigger for me is stress. And honestly I think the older we get it just doesn't take much to upset our systems.

As for the oxygen though - I would really encourage you to consider the nighttime oxygen. I know how you feel. I felt just fine and didn’t see the need for it either. I assume your doctor put you on an 02 monitor during sleep and determined your blood oxygen levels dropped too low. You can’t tell yourself when you’re asleep. Your breathing changes when you're asleep and even if you are fine during the day, you can still drop way too low at night. I did some research on it though and decided not using the 02 was just to risky – so I use it.

I’ve copied and pasted this – kind of says it all in a nutshell.

“When low oxygen is a nightly problem, this can result in brain damage, memory loss, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, brain damage, becoming comatose and it increases your risk of developing diabetes II and various metabolic disorders. When oxygen levels stay too low for too long, this can result in heart failure.”

I will be praying for great scan results tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Diane

Lol. That's ok Diane. I noticed Katie also was calling me Bruce on the Just for fun forum. Bruce is a cool guy so I take it as a compliment. I guess the truth of the matter is Im afraid I will be on oxygen 24/7 one of these days and I worry using 02 at night will make me become more reliant on it sooner. Doc did give me overnight oximeter test before prescribing 02 for sleep. But sometimes I think my low 02 levels may be due more to sleep apnea. But then again maybe Im just in denial. Thank you everyone for your replies.

No offence taken Katie. My twin granddaughter are always correcting me for calling them the wrong name. I can tell the difference but sometimes I just don't look close enough to which one I am talking. I can state for a fact tho that when you call your current spouse by your ex's first name that it doesn't go over very well. :roll:

Well glad that I dropped in with everyone talking about me !!!! LOL Mike thanks for the compliment and maybe we were seperated at birth. Like the joke I'm Daryl and here is my other brother Daryl.

I can't help with your medical issues but I can certainly relate to the stress at scan time. Ihave been 6 years NED but I think my last x-ray had me more stressed than any of the other's. I think every ache and pain that I felt for a month had me convinced that it was back. But I was wrong and results were fine.

mike I'm sure everything will be fine. Hang in there buddy. Take care.

Went yesterday to my onc but he still hadn't received the results of my ct scan. So I quess I just need to take deep breaths and white knuckle it a while longer. Had my cat scan a week ago so I don't know why this happens. Its not the first time. Bruce Im glad you received good results.