Scan results - POST HERE!

CindyA

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Tom. 

Biopsy confirmed cancer. PET scan and MRI next week, and follow-up with oncologist on 20th to review results and plan of action. 

The oncologist will be running tests to determine genetic markers on the cancer, if any. 

I'm also headed to the GI Butt doc for more good times. However, that visit isn't required to occur before my next visit with oncologist. 

Meloni

Meloni,

I am so sorry to learn about your biopsy confirmation.  

OK, by my count, this is your first recurrence after pre-surgical radiation & chemo, then surgery, then post surgery chemo.  So your first recurrence after NED.  Certainly, this is not good news but lung cancer is persistent and many here experience recurrence.  If my memory serves, you have adenocarcinoma, correct?  And, you report the pathologist is checking for genetic markers on your biopsy sample.  I'm sure you've read about targeted therapy.  Here is a good summary to prepare you with questions for your oncologist.

And, again to refresh your memory, here is a blog I wrote sometime ago about lung cancer and persistence.  My point is that recurrences are common and should be expected. You will likely emerge from your 20 February consult with a treatment plan, and you'll need to find the courage and determination to step up to the plate and put the treatment plan in play.  We unfortunately have a disease that requires persistence, but I firmly believe that outcomes are affected by attitude -- your attitude.  OBTW -- I'm in the scanziety zone also because I have a post scan consult with my oncologist on 28 February, after 13 years NED! 

You can do this thing.  Put your battle rattle on, lock and load, and proceed purposefully to destroy your lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

You have a whole team of LCSC warriors here to support you, Meloni! Tom gives great advice and many of our other moderators and members are also here to listen and to share their experiences with you. I am more than happy to help you find resources or support through LUNGevity. Let us know what we can do to help!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in January 2016. Started Opdivo in June after 6 sessions of platinum chemo. Each ct scan has shown no new growth and no new cancer, which is good. My last ct scan showed no growth in the original spot on my lung but did show several new minuscule spots. My oncologist and myself decided to continue the current Opdivo therapy and revaluate with the next ct scan in 7 weeks. Has anyone had this experience with Opdivo and if so, was there improvement when the original treatment was continued or more growth and a switch to a new therapy?

Edit

• 2 weeks later...

I'm NED today and my labs are within my "normal" limits (magnesium deficiency, and etc).  Am doing a small dance because I'm still recovering from pertussis and pneumonia.  But, scanziety is gone till end of month August when I have a CT scan and consultation.  No it never ends but today's session ended well for me.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi folks! I've been AWOL for some time...I've been ignoring cancer between my last two scans, but sort of feel as if I've abandoned the community. But, here I am again. My last scan(plus, of course, the lovely bronchoscopy) showed a recurrence of my adenocarcinoma very near to the original tumor. The docs thought at first that I would be able to have stereotactic radiation, but, apparently the area of concern is too close to my aorta to be safe. I have completed 6 out of only 10 radiation treatments that are somehow different than what I have had before. I'm very thankful that radiation was an option at all...they had to work out a pathway to get where they need to without going through the areas already radiated. I teased them the last time that I was entirely satisified with my "master's" in radiation therapy and really had no interest in returning for my doctorate, but only 10 treatments, so I guess I won't really "graduate" this time! I did get some good news that I do have the PDL-1 mutation & have also started on Keytruda, so am feeling optimistic! My biggest problem has been persistent pnemonia since my bronch in the middle of January. My lung is completely collasped again & I guess the "gunk" can't get out, but they are hopeful that the radiation will open it up enough to get it expelled, yuck! Sorry this has turned into a novel, but I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom about side effects from Keytruda.Had my first treatment on Monday & didn't notice any side effects yet. I need to get whipped into shape soon...I am bound & determined to be in San Antonio on 24 March to watch my grandson graduate from BMT at Lackland AFB! I have my next infusion the day before we're leaving for Texas, so hoping for minimal side effects! Thanks for being here.

Ruthie

Ruthie,

I have a PhD in gunk removal.  Here is how I do it.  I turn on the shower to superdrive stream, turn the water flow against the shower stall wall, take two deep hits on my inhaler, and sit on the shower floor facing the wall sprayed by the water.  The hot water hits the wall and produces steam that achieves maximum density right about where my head is while sitting in the shower.  I breathe deeply and my coughing gets very productive.  I am just recovering from pertussis and pneumonia and sometimes hit the shower 3 times a day.  It works for me!

Good news about PDL-1 and immunotherapy.  Of course, I have no Keytruda experience but hoping someone who does will assist.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the tip; it actually sounds kind of enjoyable. I'll try it out first thing in the AM. The docs think I may have contracted some unwanted visitors during my bronch and the inability to expel whatever is down there is making this difficult to get rid of. His actual words were "We probably mucked around in there and gave you pnemonia, so don't say I never gave you anything." Love my docs.

I was thrilled to find out about the PDl-1; I hardly ever get lucky and had not even considered the possibility that this may happen! I was getting ready for baldness again (which I really kind of like), but am very happy to deal with hair to have the chance to try this therapy! 

Happy to see that you're still NED; you are my inspiration & are so helpful to so many. We appreciate you!

Ruthie

• 1 month later...

Received my scan results today.,Excellent is the word my Dr used..The small nodules that were being watched from last scan are gone or even smaller.... Nothing new...What  a nice b-day gift to me....Scans now every four months instead of every three... yeah !!!  Hope everyone's scans are good....   stay strong....We got this!!      Merilee

Merilee gets good scan news - WONDERFUL!  Did I also understand you are celebrating a birthday?  If so, can't think of a better reason to have a big party.  Quarterly scans is also good news.  Can't wait till they move to semi-annual.

Stay the course.

Tom