Intorduction

SharonL

Hi, my name is Sharon. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the lung stage IIIA on Valentines day of this year. I had no idea that I had it! On January 6th I was diagnosed with DVT's (deep vein thrombosis) in both of my calves and was sent home with a prescription for coumadin. I started the coumadin and each day my legs progressively became worse. I was in a wheelchair by the end of January. I went to the ER several times in intense pain from my legs swelling. I was prescribed different pain meds and none of them eased the pain. Then I had a pulmonary embolism while on a therapeutic level of coumadin. It was then in the ER that a CT scan showed that I had a nodule on my right lung and my lymph nodes were swollen. I was told this could possibly be cancer, but I needed to get my blood clots under control and then make an appointment in about 3 months for a biopsy on the nodule. I went to my regular doctor who set up an appointment for a biopsy in 2 weeks. In the meantime, the blood clots in my legs had spread throughout my body and I was hospitalized. I had so many tests ran on me for blood disorders, and genetic disorders, etc. finally, I had a biopsy on the nodule on February 10th and on Valentines day I received the results! I'm a 42 year old non-smoker and single mom of a 7 year old boy. This news was devastating to say the least. Then my lymph nodes were biopsied and they were malignant, too. Also, the surgeon was unable to remove my lymph nodes because of their location in my chest. I was diagnosed with Trousseaus Syndrome brought on by cancer. That explained the blood clots, and the blood thinner that I was on did not work. So, I started lovenox injections twice a day, and the blood clots started to improve. And I had to have surgery on both legs. Anyways, my oncologist and surgeon decided that I start treatment right away. 6 weeks/30 days of radiation and 4 treatments of chemo 3 weeks apart. My chemo is alimta & carboplatin. I have one day of radiation left & 2 more chemo to go! I'm very nervous about my PET scan to see if my lymph nodes have shrunk enough to have them removed, and I will have surgery to remove the nodule. This has all been very scary for myself and my family. That's my story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sharon - welcome to the club none of us ever wanted to belong to, but I am glad you found us. You have obviously had quite a rough road to diagnosis. Good for your regular doctor to get you in for a biopsy without delay. It is good news that you are almost finished with your treatment, although at the same time that is when the scanxiety sets in waiting to find out how well the treatment worked. You don't say specifically, but it sounds like you have handled the treatment pretty well, and hopefully the results will be excellent and you will be able to have the surgery.

I can't imagine how stressful it must be to go through this as a single mom with a young son. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts for the best possible results. Please come back often and left us know how you are doing.

Sharon, we're wishing you the best and praying for you. I had the same chemo cocktail following my surgery (I was only stage 1B, age 46, never smoked). Hoping you get good news on your PET scan.

Thanks for the responses! I had my last radiation treatment today! Tomorrow morning I will do my 3rd chemo. I've had some side effects from radiation. My food goes down real slow, I can only eat soft foods. Chemo treatments causes nausea & constipation, but it only lasts about 3-4 days. I meet with my oncologist tomorrow. I have a ton of questions for her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD