Hi, I'm New and happy to be here

GDE

Hi, I'm so happy to be part of a support group! We were told my dad has Stage IV lung cancer. The DR basically told us it has spread to his lymph nodes. He has to do chemotherapy...will know which one exactly when we meet the Dr. next week. Funny thing is my dad looks and feels the same as he did last year and the year before etc... He is in complete denial. He doesn't want to do chemotherapy because he thinks it will kill him sine he is currently feeling good. I'm trying to be strong but I'm a complete mess! my dad is my rock and I can't picture my life without him. I don't even know what questions I should be asking his dr. This is all a shock, I can't stop crying and feeling down. I just want this to go away. One extremely positive thing is my dad has such a strong will to live but I'm afraid he looks at chemo like it's the worst thing ever and I'm worried it will make him loose that will to live. Any advice, anything at all would help...I have no clue what we're dealing with! I don't want to force him into anything. he's afraid because he's heard the negative stories of people who have passed regardless of doing chemo. But he hasn't heard the positive ones! That is why I am so happy to have found this site.

Thank you all for listening!

Hello GDE,

I'm glad you chose us for support. We have many friends who post here regularly. I hope you will be one of them too. We also have many friends here who have been stage IV for several years and are still going strong! We have great blogs of hope, & a lot of resources for you and your Dad to explore. http://events.lungevity.org/site/PageSe ... ndAdvocacy

Please keep posting and let us know how both of you are doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello new friend!

My Daddy was also diagnosed with Lung Cancer, Stage 3a non-small cell (squamous) with a Pancoast Tumor. :( He chose to do all the radiation and chemo as he said "I'm going to fight to stay here as long as I can." I was overjoyed to hear that but terrified for him. He's done 32 treatments of the strongest radiation (66 grey) and 4 cycles (8 all day treatments) of chemotherapy. At this point his PET scan indicated his treatments have worked!! Praise the Lord! Please keep in mind he had very little side affects from the treatments also (but everyone is different)... no sickness at all. He was extremely tired and his radiation area felt a little sunburnish to him but other than that he's done amazingly!! He still has a long road ahead of him on the path of being CURED! His surgery isn't going to be easy (if he's operable), due to the location and this pesky tumor it's going to be a very invasive surgery (lots of nerves:()-- they're going to have to remove ribs, some vertebrae and we're hopeful his spine isn't affected so they can GREEN LIGHT surgery. The best chance a cancer patient has is getting the cancer OUT! We find out Wednesday. The Surgeon told him all this and his response... "I didn't come this far to give up, if I'm a candidate--I'm DOING IT!!"

I know exactly what you're going through, my Daddy is my entire world. It's a horrible emotional turmoil and you really question everything... why-why-why!!! :( I will be taking an FMLA from work if he has surgery because I know he'll need me. I've been there for every treatment and Doctor's appt and I wouldn't have it any other way. Your Dad is going to have to face the music and with cancer it's ALWAYS better to get on the treatments ASAP and strike aggressively. I wish I knew a way to convince him. Perhaps an intervention with the entire family telling him you NEED him here!!

I wish you all the best and please keep us posted. You're in my thoughts.

-Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

welcome and post up and and all questions you might have on all topics... we have lots of info to offer here in all the different forums.....we are sad we have to meet like this but glad we did....