Update on my dad

Hi All. A big thank you to Cindy for checking in on how my dad and I are doing. I really appreciate it! My dad went to rehab last Thursday, and it is a little early to tell, but so far he is not doing well. He was in the hospital for about 3 weeks, as his legs were very swollen and his breathing was pretty terrible. I'm so grateful to another member of the board who had some similar symptoms. I e-mailed her and she answered, prompting me to strongly encourage my mom to call dad's oncologist the next day. He was re-admitted that day. His legs are much better, his breathing is still terrible. The hospital weeks were a complete roller coaster - not a big surprise. My dad became very disoriented in the hospital, losing track of time and night and day, which I know is not uncommon. Over the last week, at least (it all runs together) his behavior and mental condition have become worse, presenting like dementia. I don't know if it is a combination of drugs, anxiety (he has this to a great degree, but the drugs they have tried tend to just zonk him out) and so much time in the hospital or if something else is going on. He has not had a scan in weeks. My mom is completely exhausted and not a good advocate. My parents live in a state not known for its medical care, which is incredibly frustrating. Any advice would be most welcome. My dad is 72, diagnosed end of Jan. with Stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma.

I'm so sorry to read about the difficulties your dad is having. I know having been a caretaker myself for my husband how hard it truly is. I can only suggest showing him as much love as you can and be there if he needs to talk. Have you considered hospice yet? I know that a hard decision to make. Please keep us updated ((hugs))