Terrified Waiting for PET Scan Results

Lizc

I am anxiously awaiting the results of my mother's PET scan (we meet with the oncologist on 7/1). It is hard to keep my emotions under control during this time and I don't want to cry in front of my mother.

Some background: She started to have pain in her sternum area in November 2013. She went to the ER to rule out a heart attack. They did an x-ray and ended up diagnosing her with costrochondritis, an arthritic condition (in hindsight this was probably a misdiagnosis).

The same pain returned off and on from November until May until it finally became extruciating two weeks ago. My sister brought her to the ER and they found a pleural effusion. They also told us they found some nodules in her lung after performing a CAT scan. The fluid drained from the plural effusion was found to have abnormal cells, thus the PET scan was ordered.

I am just besides myself with anxiety thinking that when we walk in on 7/1 they will tell us it's everywhere and there is nothing they can do. My mother has had a lot of exhaustion lately (since about May) - so not like her. Up until two weeks ago she worked full time. I keep going on the Internet and reading about lung cancer and it's so bleek. Is exhaustion a bad sign?

Hello Lizc, sorry to hear your mom is going through this, I can’t say if exhaustion is a bad sign or not, since I’m not a doctor, but I’ve been reading and searching about lung cancer on the internet just like you because of my dad (he shows many symptoms of lung cancer), and it can be a sign of cancer, have you heard of “cancer fatigue” ? I hope all the best for your mom. Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...