My introduction

wilsonma99

Hi, my name is Mary Ann and I live north of Pittsburgh, PA.  A routine x-ray for something else led to a CT scan, broncosopy, PET scan and a diagnosis of Stage 4 non small cell adenocarcinoma.  I start chemotherapy (alimta, paraplatin, avastin) on Oct. 30th. I will be talking a steroid before the treatment. It was a shock to get this diagnosis as I had no risk factors and feel perfectly fine.  No symptoms==starting to get a cough after I eat.   My son and daughter in law are captains in the Air Force=they just had a baby in Sept.  I resigned from my job so that I could go to Germany where they are stationed and take care of the baby.  That is not going to happen now, but my husband and I are going to visit and meet her before treatment starts.

Any feedback or suggestions you have are very welcome.    I am feeling positive and very motivated to stay healthy as long as I can.

What a blessing that the doctor ordered your chest x ray!

Glad to hear your treatment has been set up and you are getting started quickly.

Do you speak German?

Waiting to hear how you are doing in treatment.   Sounds like a good one and hopefully you will be watching that little baby grow bigger and bigger.

Keep us posted .

Donna  G

Hi Mary Ann did your doctor suggest target therapy before starting chemo? I too am stage 4 and was diagnosed April of 2013. I am 46 years old and found out because I had a lump on my neck that I had checked out. I started on tarceva which is a targeted therapy and it cleared up the cancer 90% in my lungs and also cleared up the cancer I had in my spine. To go on targeted therapies they just need to do a test on the mutations that are in the CANCER cells. Worth looking into. I wish you much luck on this new journey.

Donna

Hi Mary Ann did your doctor suggest target therapy before starting chemo? I too am stage 4 and was diagnosed April of 2013. I am 46 years old and found out because I had a lump on my neck that I had checked out. I started on tarceva which is a targeted therapy and it cleared up the cancer 90% in my lungs and also cleared up the cancer I had in my spine. To go on targeted therapies they just need to do a test on the mutations that are in the CANCER cells. Worth looking into. I wish you much luck on this new journey.

Donna

He is sending the pathology out for genetic testing==is that the same?  The results were not back yet.

Hi Mary Ann, I'm sorry you have  a reason to find us. We are glad that you picked us for support.  Please know we will be here as much as you'd like us to be. There are a lot of friends here on the board who will be able to give you advice. I'm including a link that you may find useful. If you have any questions about this site or the Foundation, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

http://events.lungevity.org/survivors/index.html

also the steroids wil help with nausea possibility and give you some energy also.. My late wife painted the house while on her first regiment of Chemo and was on steroids and an anti nausea med also!!!