Wife looking for support

Kakalina

I am not certain when it started but I noticed how much weight my husband had lost and he started coughing all the time. In Sept. it got quite bad. In Nov. we were in South America and I made him go see a Dr. who told him to get a chest x-ray when we got home. He is in his mid 60's and only quit smoking in Sep. when he got too sick to be able to smoke. He started coughing up blood and he is tired all the time with no energy at all.

It took forever to get him into the VA so I finally took him to the ER in mid Jan when he was so weak he could no longer drive. The chest x-ray shows nodules on both lungs and a 6cm mass on the top of the left lung. His calcium levels were over 13. The put him on Augmentin and sent us home.

One week later we were back at the ER. The blood work showed highly elevated calcium levels. They admitted him to the hospital. The did a needle biopsy on Fri. They also did constant IV's to "clean the excess calcium out of his blood". He was released yesterday.

He isn't sleeping quite as much as he was before. He is also taking the pain medication as he should instead of waiting until he is in agony.

Three Doc's said they were pretty darn sure it is lung cancer but until the results are back can't say for sure. It was a holiday week end. We should know something today or tomorrow.

I am scared and very worried. So I am researching as much as I can to try to prepare for that which probably can not be prepared for.

Sorry this is so long. I have no local support and I am all alone with him and this sickness.

Hi Kakalina,

Welcome to LCSC,thank you for sharing your post here,i am sure you will find excellent support from all the buddies here, regarding your concern for your husbands health issues.It is obviously a bit premature for me to comment on your husbands situation,things will soon be clarified by your doctors when all the test results are collated and examined.I do wish you both well whatever the findings,please do keep us informed as to how things have gone.Here at LCSC you will never feel you are facing this alone,everyone here has their own particular experiences that can help you through this most anxious time in both you and your husbands lives. Best Wishes.

Welcome.  Glad you found us.  In 1967 my future father in law died of lung cancer. 30 yrs later I was diagnosed with lung cancer. 

In 2013 I lost my husband to lung cancer.

I am glad you went to the hospital and got a biopsy done, now we will soon get the results and I hope you share them with us.

If it is cancer the results hopefully will let you know what kind, as there are several types and hopefully if it is you will get a plan and get started quickly with treatment.

Please keep us posted ,  Also keep in mind this can be beaten , I am a survivor.

Donna G

Thank you both for your kind replies. I guess it is true that the waiting is the hardest part. I called the # they left for me to the oncology lab for the results. They said they will have the pulmonologist call us when he can.

We are dealing with the VA and they are not known for being the fastest or most responsive entity in the world. Hopefully he will call back soon and we can move forward.

Hi Kakalina,

Thank you for sharing with us. This is a great community to share, vent, and get HOPE. Welcome to LCSC. . I'm glad your husband is finding relief by taking his medication as directed. Please keep us posted on how you both are doing. Sending you healing and positive thoughts. We are here for you. 

Well we just got the word that it is indeed lung cancer. The Doc said there will be lots of tests ahead to determine type and stage and such. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now and my husband doesn't want to discuss it. I understand but it is hard.

Hi Kakalina,

I am new to this site but wanted to lend you some support. I just started treatment for nsclc and so far I am feeling great. My husband was with me when the doctor told us I had 6-12 months to live...you can just imagine how shocked we were. For days I walked around in shock and my husband said he would pull over his car and cry. Your husband is acting in his own way. To this day I have not told many people, including family. Everyone handles this differently but knowing he has your love and support is the best thing in the world. Lots of test, MRI's & CAT scans and possible PET scan if he hasn't already done that. Hang in there, the more info you can get the easier it will be to find direction. Waiting is the enemy but once I had direction everything became so much clearer. Keep writing as everyone here really helped me through my first treatment!

I am in AZ, Kakalina. ... Just outside of Phoenix.  East Valley. 

I too have had to deal with the VA, but, am using my Medicare and TFL for sclc treatment(s).  Perhaps we can get together sometime and "just" talk.

I consider myself a survivor... Hard battle, but well fought.

Welcome to LCSC.  I am so glad you found us!  When my husband was diagnosed I came here and not only found a wealth of information I also found a great deal of support.  I had no one in my life at the time that understood and I consider each member here my friend!

I certainly understand your fear and also that your husband doesn't want to discuss this.  I dealt with that too!  The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to please remember to take care of yourself too during such a stressful time.  If you ever just want to talk, please come here and we'll help in anyway that we can.

Please keep us updated ((hugs))