diagnosed with sclc oct 29/2014 need guidance

phyllynj

hello all. was diagnosed with sclc . had biopsy nov 7 . inconclusive. another one in dec. started chemo dec 10th. had port placed dec 15th, yup after first round. did 30 rad tmts. just finished round 3 of chemo had pet scan last Saturday waiting to see the oncologist Friday. I've been stressed and depressed. I wasn't told about the mortality rate until just a couple of weeks ago. chemo has been tough on me. many lousy side effects. I need emotional support. im divorced many years. my BF I believe has packed up mentally and moved on. my adult sons are beside themselves with grief. I have so many questions and no answers. I lost over 1oo pounds 3 yrs ago with hard work, diet and exercise. I was running 5 miles a day with my do , lifting weights, riding an exercise bike 7 days a week. I noticed I was short of breath that got worse as the weeks wore on. got a cold. went to the dr and had a chest xray. my life has not been the same since. I was working 3 jobs and very active to basically laying in bed . depressed every day.

Hi Phyllynj, 

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Please know that you are not alone and we are here for you. That's a shame about your BF & the kids. There is HOPE! Is there an activity that you used to do that maybe you can do with your kids to inspire them to have hope as well? You mentioned running, what about walks with the kids? 

You mentioned you have a lot of questions and no answers. Have you considered a 2nd opinion? 

Here are some links that may help with some answers. The website has an abundance of information. 

Please keep me posted & let me know if I can help you in anyway. 

Hello.  Glad you found us.

Support is very important.

Chemo and radiation are tough on us but most important they are tough on those cancer cells!

If possible it is good to do what exercise you can.  It helps. 

Also laughter is good medicine. It raises many hormones we need to heal.

I have a friend who has survived SCLC for many years.  I hope you respond well also to the treatment.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

I am so sorry that you're dealing with so much all at once.  I'm glad you found all of us here though.  Please browse through our forums and you will find a wealth of information and if you have any questions, please ask.  Keep us updated please ((hugs))