this wasn't supposed to happen...

kayb

one year ago I had an early-screening CT scan, knowing that I was at high risk for cancer after losing 2 of my sisters to cancer the past two years.  I didn't expect the scan to find any problems but there was a "cloudy, glassine area" that looks suspicous and in the end it was surgically removed with a VAT procedure. The surgeon and oncologist assured me that they got it all, it was gone and WOULD NEVER COME BACK!  A week ago I had a six-month followup CT scan and, lo and behold, the very area where the tumor was removed last year seems to have grown a brand new tumor.  Or, maybe it's just scar tissue.  The oncologist has scheduled a PET scan to find out and now it seems like, no matter what it shows, I am never going to be free of the Cancer Monster. 

got results from PET scan. Dr says it shows invasive tumor, possibly into lymph nodes this time, and larger than the area that was removed last year. He is recommending a biopsy followed by removal of upper lobe of my lung.  I know I'm supposed to be grateful that surgery is an option, but honestly, I don't know how anyone finds the strength to put up a fight against this monster.   

Wow !  Another tumor !  Thankfully it was found.   This is a tough journey.  This time, after surgery, I wonder if they will prescribe some chemo. 

When is the surgery scheduled?  Hope you have some good friends and family to help you with all the appointments and your recovery from surgery. 

Please keep us posted. 

Donna G

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there kayb! I was dx stage 1b NSCLC adenocarcinoma in September of 2013 and had a VATS upper right lobectomy followed by four rounds of Carboplatin / Alimta chemotherapy.  I finally made it to NED in November of 2014 after they had been watching a couple of spots that were remnants from the surgery.  At my quarterly scan in February of this year, the chest x-ray showed a new spot in my left lung.  CT scan, PET scan, biopsy and ended up with a wedge resection on April 7th that I'm recovering from.

It's frustrating to have the recurrence to deal with, but I'm thankful that my quarterly scans did exactly what they are designed to do and we were able to catch this spot early and get it out of there.  I'll meet with my oncologist on Wednesday to see if they are able to determine if this is a new primary tumor or a delayed metastasis from my original cancer. You've got enough to fight with on the physical front, don't let cancer beat you up on the mental front as well. You are in my prayers and I hope we'll be reading about a successful surgery in the near future for you.

thank you all for your thoughful support. just had pulmonary function test today; bottom of report says reason for visit "malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung".  Guess the diagnosis is in already, even though the biopsy hasn't been done yet.   I won't have pathology report until next week. Waiting is hard, feeling optomistic even harder. 

went in for biopsy yesterday but the doctor decided it was too risky for CT-guided needle biopsy, too many large blood vessels in the way.  plan now is to go back to thoracic surgeon to see if he can do a tissue sample.  

Wow,  I am glad the he is on the side of safety.  I suppose this will take some time to schedule another appointment and all .

Waiting to hear how things go.

Donna G

• 1 month later...

Cancer treatment is an emotional rollercoaster.  There is a term some of us use - Scanziety - that time between test (CT, PET, Biopsy and etc.) to results revealed.  When one has metastatic disease time slows to a craw after the test and anxiety reigns till judgement day - the consult with the oncologist.  I tried to fill up my time by reading about my disease.  Have you read "The Emperor of all Maladies"? It is a biography of cancer written in a style most folks can understand.  It is frightening to contemplate having part or all of a lung removed.  But, my doctor explained it was the best way to ensure the tumor didn't reoccur.  It will take time for you to adjust to your new normal.  It will be different from pre-cancer life, but I've found my life as a cancer survivor to be fulfilling and rewarding.  Try to remember the object of all this treatment - life.  Carry on.  You'll get there.