Carboplatinum / Taxol

MaryMurph

Has anyone had Carboplatinum / Taxol along with Radiation? I had a round of Cysplatinum / Pemetrex a few years ago pre-surgery and did not loose my hair from that but my cancer has come back and they are doing Carboplatinum / Taxol along with Radiation. They say I may loose my hair from the Taxol. When they say "May" do you think they mean "will" or is there a chance I won't. With the first round of chemo I was scared and didn't care this time it's more of a nuisance and everyone has been telling me how beautiful my hair looks lately so now it's more upsetting.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on Carbo/Alimta and was told I will not lose my hair but it might thin. So far after two chemos, no sign of either right now. I agree that hair loss would be hard as it kind of announces to the world that something is wrong and people stare.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Mary,

I had a total of 18 infusions of taxol carboplatin in the course of my lung cancer treatment.  The first six were understrength "adjunct therapy" received concurrently with conventional radiation. During this course, I only lost my gray hair!  The before and after photo showed me looking years younger.  After my disease metastasized, I got the full strength taxol carboplatin dose.  I lost all hair (including eyebrows) two weeks after my first infusion.  It grew back after each 6-cycle infusion treatment was complete and was a temporary inconvenience.

I do know how important hair is to the ladies so perhaps consider a wig.  But, these days I see a lot of women using a scarf and displaying their temporary baldness as a badge of courage.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mary, I had carbo/taxol along with radiation, I didn't lose my hair but it did thin quite a bit. When I finished radiation, I then went from low dose carbo/taxol to full  dose and lost every hair on my entire body.  The thought of going bald did creep me out so I wore wigs, there are some really good ones out there so play around with the idea.  Hopefully you won't have to, but going bald wasn't as bad as I personally thought it would be. Best of luck to you.

my wife had her wig when she went out and scarves for around the house and casual days when she felt like it... been long time but she did not lose hair through much of many regiments of chemo until she hit tarceva!!!  and she went through 4 or 5 before that and radiation....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.