Hello, friends...I'd like to introduce myself

Guest cheri

As everyone on this site can probably attest, I never thought that I would be here. However, by the grace of God I have found this very special place where I can find lots of information and be uplifted at the same time.

My father was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer the week before Christmas. We were devastated. His primary MD had been treating him for lower back problems for approximately 6 months and come to find out he had cancer. :evil:

I am a stay at home mother of a 3-year old and a 4-month old...both precious girls! Emily and Olivia.

After receiving the news of my father's disease, I immediately began researching the internet and scoured over books finding everything I could about lung cancer. Our oncologist recommended chemo/radiation but that we were basically looking at Pain Management with 8 months for my father to live. The cancer is located in both lungs and has metastised to the back and lymph nodes. He's in a lot of pain. We have him entering a clinical trial where he will take Carbo/Taxol/ABX-EGF. Praying for a miracle so that we can have this most precious man with us a little longer. Would love to talk with others who have struggled and conquered with this terrible disease. My prayers to you all.

Cheri, miracles happen everyday. There are numerous folks here fighting the exact same. If you did a lot of reading then I hope you dide not get caught up in the statistics, they are outdated and do not apply to anyone especially not your father. Be aggressive and please know that we are all here for you and your father.

PS don't let my hat scare you off!!

David C

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about your father but so glad that you found this place.I was diagnosed on Christmas Eve so I am a newcomer too.I made the mistake of surfing all over for info and it literally scared the hell out of me.I suggest that you stay right here.Someone on here has been through anything you can imagine as it relates to this disease and they will be swamping you with encourgement soon.So much love and support in here it is really incredible.Keep praying and try to find something to laugh about.They have a good humor section in here too.It helps me.TBone

Hi Cheri, welcome. I also made the mistake of searching the net when my husband was first diagnosed. Big mistake. I found this site and haven't gone anywhere else. Many people here have been given months to live and have proven the doctors wrong. All the best to you~

Cheri, welcome to the board-we hate statistics (statistics describe a group, not the individual). That being said, my Dads case sounds just like yours.

My dad went into the hospital Jan. 2002 with what was either food poisioning or a nasty stomach virus. Anyway, in the x-ray to check for a blockage (none was found-good news) they found INCIDENTALLY a tumor on his spine. Now, Dad had been having back pain for a while, a long while, he was sleeping alot, and I kept asking my mom if he'd been to the doctor, but they blew the back pain off because he had ALWAYS had a bad back, he had a severe case of scoliosis.

Anyway, a biopsy of the spine tumor proved that he had lung cancer (they thought sclc, but it ended up being NSCLC). After his first chemo session the back pain was GONE-he "never felt better" and faired so well through the chemo (taxol/carpboplatin -sp?) that you would never guess that this man had cancer. He survived almost exactly 2 years after diagnosis-so much for statistics. He survived brain mets-which cropped up almost 1 year after dx (treated with gamma knife-thanks to Kerry of this message board and the information she shared about her father).

My point, and I do have one, is that the first line of combat is provided by your dad himself-and you and your family and the DOCTORS can/must help with this-it is ATTITUDE!!! THE RIGHT ONE! My dad from day one believed that he would do alright-and he did, through chemo and all. that first year and a half were pretty spectacular! Dad knew that he was considered 'incurable', but didn't mind, he just wanted to be around as long as he could, he had faith that when he would die, he would be alright and with God, and he still had hope that the longer he did live, the more medical breakthoughs that will come up and maybe he'd get more time.

Dad said that he'd try anything, hed be a guniea pig, and he had alot of faith in his oncologists, as well. You see, they NEVER GAVE HIM A TIMELINE. I called Daddys onc. the night before Daddys first appt. for treatment and requested that he not give a timeline, as I felt it would more than likely put a dent in Daddys wonderful outlook and attitude. Do you know what that wonderful Dr. Gold said to me? He said "I don't believe in timelines, I'm not God...your dad is a good guy, and we're going to do all that we can to get him the most time we can."

That is a crutial weapon, I believe.

The other crutial weapon, is what you have already done, research-research-research, my Dads onc. is a great guy, but he didn't even know that gamma knife was available on Long Island (it had become availible in October-and Daddy had the procedure in January-talk about great timing!! :D

So, Cheri, DavidC said it-miracles happen everyday-and the good news is:

you and your father are NOT powerless in this fight!!!!!

Also, to repeat the wise and frightening (yes, it IS the hat) DavidC, we are here for you.

Take care, feel free to Private message or e-mail me. Your dads case sounds so much like my dads, I just really needed to let you know.

Take care, and once again:

Statistics describe a group NOT THE INDIVIDUAL!!!!!

Deb

Hi Cheri,

Welcome.

This board is amazing. The care, support and love is overwhelming. But, in some ways, more important is the information about treatments and drugs and hospitals etc., etc.

Post a question and you will have an answer pronto.

Wish you didn't have to be here, but since you do, here is a wonderful place.

Ginny

Hi Cheri,

I'm new to this site also. My dad has cancer too only his cancer started as skin cancer. SCC that moved to the head and neck and now to the lungs. He also has sarcoidosis where one third of one lung is a taken up by the mass of sarcoid. I search everything I can. Because my sister has breast cancer and lung problems exist in my family history I research for knowledge for myself and other family memebers should in the future we should ever need it, and I research the specific cancers that have plequed my family. I have searched clinical trials for my dad but his cancer combined with his other complications are hard to find...so I just search and learn whatever I can. Here are three sites. I have no idea of the specific details of your fathers cancer all I know is that you might be able to find what you are looking for in these sites. I believe I have more trial webites but these three popped up quickly in "my favorites" One of these, and I think it's the last one posted, I have not looked in yet at all. It was given to me by someone else through an email. I hope they help you in some way...but if not maybe something in one of them will give you a small lead into what you do need.

Chani

http://clinicaltrials.gov/

http://www.siteman.wustl.edu/physician/ ... list.shtml

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m098 ... icle.jhtml

Cheri,

One more thing, and this is fully agreeing with Deb. My dad has been given six months, one year with treatment. I do not, and will not, believe in a timeline. I was with my dad when one of his doctor's talked to him about this timeline and I saw a look that will forever haunt me in my fathers eyes. And this "timeline" has done nothing but cause sadness for all of my family. I have another sister, not the one with breast cancer, that because of this "timeline" now weights 90lbs because of the fear of losing her dad. Inside we all have inner strength, and inside this strength that has never been tapped. It's perserverance, and it's much more than that, something we don't even know exists until we reach in and pull it from where it lives inside of us. That, I believe in itself can beat "time lines" I wish that just one of my dad's doctor's would have said....here it is, it appears that you might have such and such, but if you have the will, who knows how long you have. Science is not perfect this is a fact, most all of us are aware of this so how can a time line be given. I do understand that my dad could very well not be here next year this time. I bought his birthday gift today thinking this might be his last birthday gift." and then I thought, well, I could be hit by a car on the way out of this store too. We have heard about times when a person has picked a car up by themselves off of someone who is trapped underneath. This is what I'm talking about....we don't know how it happens it just does, inner strength maybe, maybe the act of a higher being, whatever we believe that to be....From what I have read not all doctor's give time lines. I wish my dad had one of those doctors. I spend a lot of time on the phone with my family attempting to untie the knot my dad's doctors tied by giving a time line that they alone cannot say whether it is so or it is not so. Keep pushing for that miracle. I do. My dad often says he's ready to go, that he's lived his life and has done what he was put on this earth to do. And I respect this totally, but his eyes tell me a different story.

Chani