Hi to all, yust got some stupid questions

Hi to all:

sory abougth my spellin but im translating.I was dx. with nsslc 8/02.

Got chemo and Rad. same time,had linf nodes , reeson onc.said we cant operate.After treatment i got

double pneumonia 12/02 and after a month in hosp.my pneumologist did a broncoscopy and said everithing looks black (necrotic) and they made me a candidate for the op.

I got a pneumonectomy left lung

and everithing came out clean from cancer 1/03.(nsclc). How long does it

take to recuperate frome the operation? Dont get me rong im doing pritty

good but still have a lot pain in my thorax and curently taking no medication.

Tommy I hope you can use the new translation into Spainish option that we just got. It would make it a lot easier for you . You say you had surgery in January? So it has been 3 months. I imagine you had an open thorocotomy where they break a couple of ribs and cut into the nerves that run along those ribs. At this point I would guess that it is those nerves that are the problem. Please be sure also that you have good range of motion in the shoulder on the same side as the surgery. Some people guard so much right after surgery , trying not to move that they end up with a "frozen shoulder" that also could be a problem . An orthopedic doctor or physical therapist might be in order. For the nerve damage some people take antidepressents , they seem to help. Any one else have any Ideas? Also WELCOME TO THE MESSAGE BOARD. YOU ARE AMONG " AMIGOS."

Hello Tommy, Welcome and as Donna said you are amoung AMIGO'S.

They took my left lung out almost 2 years ago and I still have pain from time to time which is usually because I'm playing golf, or working about the yard. I usually take some advil or aspirin for it and that works just fine. I was 50 when they operated and I see your a bit younger, so stay active, exercise and work on your breathing. It will get better but it will take time.

Like Dave P. says " exercise rules "

OH, The family pic was taken 8 weeks after they took the lung, I was hiking in the rainforests in Costa Rica with the family, I was really sore back then but also really determined to live. Remember you are a SURVIVOR. :)

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB - left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Tommy!

We don't care about spelling and grammar here, only about people and feelings, so no need to apologize! How wonderful to be bilingual!

I'm soooo glad you were able to have surgery...that usually helps the odds be more in your favor. And we never consider any questions "stupid" here; we may not have all the answers, but we try our best and certainly offer a lot of support.

Like BobMc, I still have some nerve pain from my lobectomy, but nothing so severe that I can't deal with it. As others have said, breathing exercises, walking or some kind of light aerobics, and gentle toning and stretching exercises will help you in your recovery. Please continue to post and ask questions. How soon you get better depends on so many things, that we can't give you an exact timeline. You sound as if you are doing pretty well, though. :D

Salud y Paz,