Seizures ?

My husband had what we thought was a seizure last night and taken to the ER. He's been having a sharp stabbing pain in the lower abdominal area when he coughs (the visiting nurse thought maybe a hernia was developing). When this happened he coughed maybe once or twice and then began shaking uncontrollably all over. His arms and legs went stiff and his eyes glazed over. It probably lasted no more than a minute (as scary as it was it seemed longer). He didn't realize what had happened. He needed to increase his O2 from 4 liters to 7. The doctors told us it was probably not a seizure but something called "cough syncope". Has anyone ever had this happen or heard of it? The thing is, is that he wasn't having a bad coughing spell when this happened. He was already scheduled for his routine CT-scans on Wednesday so I'm hoping they'll move them up and just do them while he's already in the hospital

Chris

Well it may not have been a seizure. I work with individuals with developmental disabilities and I have seen probably over a hundred seizures over the years. My husband had a incident very similar to the one you are talking about, where he stood suddenly and went down (into a chair luckily) and began to shake. I was absolutely positive it was a seizure at the time, but it was not, he just passed out. Some people appear to be seizing when they are not (I never knew this prior to this happening). He did not have any of the classic after seizure fatigue and was perfectly fine following it.

My friend that is an OB nurse told me later that she has seen this with women after child birth, where they appear to seize. Anyway, all the best with the tests.

Chrissy My husband Jim also had a seizure like your description. It happened last May and never again. His onc. had him get a MRI just to make sure it wasn't brain mets. The infomation we received was that seizures or convulsions are a fairly common disorder. No definite cause is found most of the time. But with lung cancer you need to rule out brain mets. I would ask dr. for a MRI. Carolyn