Finally getting started

Carleen

Well, the time I have been waiting for has arrived... My husband started his treatment on Friday. He is going to be on a routine of once a week, Cisplatin and CPT11 for the first day of each cycle and just the CPT11 the following weeks, for three weeks. Then a week off, and starting over again.

Everyone's advice was right on about how I would feel a bit of relief once this day came, because now at least I feel like we are doing something to fight this.

The only thing that has been hard is seeing my vibrant, athletic, and energetic husband so lethargic and sick. I think he came through his first session well; no vomiting, he's been eating even though he doesn't feel like it. He's just very nauseous and fatigued. He spent all weekend on the couch. What I find confusing is he is completely exhausted, but he can't seem to sleep. He's been waking up in the middle of the night unable to sleep since long before the chemo started, but now he is so tired, and he only naps for 30 minutes at a time, and sleeps maybe 3-5 hours per night. I know he is achy from a mass pushing against his collar bone, and he has nightmares. Does anyone have any suggestions as to sleep remedies to try.

As always, since meeting you all, my prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Thanks - Carleen

PS. I wanted to post a picture of my love on this site. How do I do that?

[/img]

Carleen -

Several things:

#1 - It's not unusual to not sleep well at night if you've laid around all day (even in the best of circumstances!) Try to get him to DO something during the day, no matter how physically limited. Do a puzzle, anything to help wear his brain out.

#2 - He could very realistically be dealing with clinical depression - discuss this with his doctor to see if there's any anti-depressants he can take. Many people on the board here can vouch for them!

#3 - It's hard for men sometimes, but try to get him to really TALK to you about what he's feeling. No doubt he's overwhelmed - and that in itself can keep you awake - replaying the same "what ifs" over and over in your head.

Best of luck and prayers go with you,

SandyS

Carleen,

I forgot to tell you that My Mom had a giant lymph node in her neck and couldn't turn her head and it really caused her alot of pain but it went down after the first cycle and the pain went away. So hopefully the chemo will help that pain and things will improve. SCLC usually responds very quickly to chemo. :D

Laurie

Thanks for all the help and support.

I've added a picture of Keith and I from my sister's wedding in October.

Last night was a strange night for us. I was a bit scared because when I got home from work, Keith was having chills and only registered a temperature of 96.8. But the doctor said that isn't really a problem or concern, so we should just ignored it. He's probably just catching a virus we were told. But the good news was that he actually slept for a full night, 8+ hours, and woke up today feeling better than he has in days. I don't know what did the trick, I just hope it keeps working.

I think we are going to plan on going out on a date tonight; get dressed up and go for a romantic dinner to celebrate.

God's blessings to you all,

Carleen

Dear Charleen and Keith,

First I wish to welcome you to our wonderful group, sorry you have the need to be here though! And second I wish to tell you that you two are a beautiful couple!!

I also want to share with you that when I did my chemo, I would have chill's as well. Sometimes I would even get so hot. My Onc. Doc said it was the chemo. But, none the less, stay on top of these issues and if they continue tell your doc.

Have a GREAT NIGHT OUT!! That's a AWESOME idea!!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Carleen,

I am glad Keith finally got to sleep through the night. I am sorry he's been feeling so tired. I love your picture, your hubby looks so young as do you. :cry: I am so sorry you have to be dealing with this. Just have faith and hope that he's going to be cured. ((((((Big hugs to you both.)))))))

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Carleen,

So glad to hear Keith is feeling better. My step-dad also began to feel better a few days after his first chemo. He had some pain from the liver mets, but it's completely gone away now.