Time for an Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly and my Mom has been diagnosed NSCLC on 12/30/03. She was diagnosed while in the hospital for flu, thanks to a wonderful young doctor that would not let her be released to go home (as the hospital had planned for that day) until she underwent CT chest scan. He has since left our area for a private practice, but I stay in touch-we wont forget his preserverance in insisting she have the CT.

We are shocked, scared, and hurt. And many days I think desperate is the word. We are one of those great Southern families, all in each other's business, having our spats, coming back together. I have already seen some healing of the past, reconnection, God's grace at work even in the midst of our anguish. We are already changed.

I have many questions as I enter the world of cancer. Right now, we are in the hurry up and wait period. Many scans and tests, no treatment plan yet. Second opinion at Emory in Atlanta scheduled for tomorrow.

I have been reading here for several weeks now, and already feel I know some of you. I have cried for you and rejoiced for you. And finally felt the need to join you.

I will post some questions under the correct topics, it is time to go to the source. Those of you (now us) who are walking the walk.

I will say here first, cancer is a sneaky thief. Evil in it's ability to remain secret. Evil when it makes its presence known. My Mom, she looks and feels healthy, some days I think they must be wrong. And when it strikes one in the family, it strikes each in the family. I don't understand, we can clone. We can take pictures on Mars. We can load a huge airplane full of people and luggage, send it up in the air and fly it over the ocean. But not cure cancer?

I am preaching to the choir!

Thanks for reading, and thanks for being willing to share.

Kelly

Summergirl-Summer is the name of my beloved horse.

Hi Kelly and welcome. Sorry you need to be here but most of us are pretty experienced with lung cancer. You have made some very valid points. I am positive without doing a web search that we ( the USA) have spent a lot more money on outer space than on our lung space. The diagnosis of cancer really brings up lots of emotions and lots of stress. It is good your family is rallying around , we need all the support we can get especially those first months with diagnosing , testing, deciding, etc Keep us posted on how things are going. Donna G

I'm going to say something here that might not be very popular but here goes. You mention all of the money spent on other things and still there is no cure for cancer. What I have to say is really a question and gives us all something to think about..

If A cure were found for cancer what would happen to not only the national economy but the worlds economy?

Money is spent where it produces more money. Not where it can cost money to so many of the worlds or nations taxes and finances!

Hello, Kelly,

Welcome to this family of loving, caring people. We will be here to listen to you, and hold your hand as you embark on this rollercoaster of emotions in your family's fight against cancer.

I am sorry you need to be here, but I am glad you found us.

Your mom and your family are in our prayers.

MaryAnn

Kelly,

I am so sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you found us. This is one of those "special" places that are WAY too few and far between.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track. The first few weeks can be such a rollercoaster ride, but hang in there. Getting the proper diagnosis is crucial to getting the right treatment plan.

Dean

From one southerner to another, welcome aboard this horrible adventure. May you find strength here among these wonderful people who have become so important to me in the last couple of weeks. And I know what you mean about that "in each other's business" southern family stuff . . . if you've been reading posts recently, you'll see that our family is like that as well. My brother T-Bone and most of the family are down in middle Georgia, but I'm in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. PM me if you'd like to exchange info for support.

Best of luck for your Emory visit. They've got such a good reputation, I'm sure you'll at least be pleased with the people, and hopefully with the report as well.

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to our wonderful family here!! Yes this is a terrible disease to have to face, but we don't have to do ALONE!! I know you will find the comfort, information and understanding from the group just as I have. Most importantly though, you will find SURVIVORS, each day battling this beast.

God bless and you and your mom will be in my prayers!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Welcome to the family Kelly. I am so sorry you have to be here but I am glad that you found us. This group of people has to be the MOST caring, loving group of people I have every come across. Please feel free to ask anything. I am sure someone has been there and done that!

God Bless,

MO

So very sorry your Mom is ill Kelly. Your'e not alone in feeling all this despair and desperation, I am sure most of us, if not all of us, on this board have these feelings too. I still feel as if this is all a terrible nightmare and that some day someone will pinch me and wake me up...but no-one does. My husband is also feeling pretty good at the moment which makes it even harder to believe.

I try to take the advice of the many brave folks on this board and keep a positive outlook, sometimes I fail, but I do try. I hope you will do that to.

Prayers and love to you and your Mom and family,

Paddy

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the kind welcomes, they are such a comfort. I am posting on the early stage NSCLC discussion the results of our trip to Emory. That way I can get some feedback over there too.

TeeTaa in Roswell, I will PM you-is that a private email that goes to you? Do i just click the pm button? I know, computer illiterate and I'm married to a computer geek!

I am in Kennesaw, GA. Sharing information would be so nice.

In my opinion, this is by far the best website and message board for lung cancer support. I have even given the patient social worker at Emory this web address to add to his list that he recommends to patients. They did not have much for lung cancer specifically.

Thanks again everyone, you are all special people.

Kelly

Kelly, I too am sorry yo have a need to be here, but since you do, WELCOME aboard. You wil find a loving, caring family here. Feel free to come with all questions and concerns. I understand what you mean about your mom feeling good. I did too and the oncologist always refers to me as "the healthy one". I hope your mom continues feeling good and she really may most of the time.