My husband was just diagnosed last week...

kstrickler

This has been a devastating week. We are still reeling from the surprise of finding out my husband has stage 4 adenocarcinoma LC. He was having shoulder pain with numbness and tingling so went to a neurologist -- the MRI was just supposed to be for a pinched nerve. But, no. They found a 3x4cm primary tumor on his left lung, additional smaller tumors on his right lung, and tumors along his spine/chest wall. We are awaiting molecular markers to determine how to treat the primary tumor but in the meantime he will start radiation of the spine tumor Monday. That tumor is causing him pain and makes it very difficult for him to sleep. He's the love of my life. And the father to our two beautiful daughters, ages 7 and 1. Wondering how bad radiation will be? 

Absolutely it has been devastating.  From numbness to stage 4 lung cancer found by a neurologist!  Radiation side effects depend on how long the treatment is administered and for me ranged from skin burns to extreme fatigue in the final weeks of a five-day-per week, six-week cycle of treatment.  Something to look forward to is a rapid elimination of spinal pain and he should be sleeping well soon.

Assume he's had a needle biopsy and are awaiting a determination on the type of lung cancer so the right chemotherapy can be chosen.  Typing by molecular markers was not done when I was diagnosed more than 11 years ago and it is very helpful in choosing the right chemotherapy to treat his metastatic disease.  There is a wealth of information on lung cancer.  Perhaps you've read the material at Lung Cancer 101 here - http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101

No doubt you'll have questions as you discover more about his disease.  This is the place to ask.

Stay the course.

Tom

Glad you found this site.  Welcome.  What a week!  Back in 1997 I went to the Dr. with pain in my

chest and down my arm.  I remember well how shocked I was to find out I had a tumor in the apex

of my lung pressing on the nerves going down my arm and also onto my chest wall.

You have very young children.  I had daily radiation for weeks but also 2 chemo drugs too.

They tattooed 2 dots on my chest to help aim the radiation.  I never got a burn from it.

Let us know what is up next.

Donna G

I am so sorry this is happening to your family!  I have glad you found LCSC though.  There are many members here who can help answer questions as well as offer support, which is very much needed for you now.  Please keep us updated ((hugs))

Hi KStrikler, 

Welcome to the message boards. Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your story. I am attaching a link that goes into more detail about therapy. http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options-for-lung-cancer

LUNGevity has a wealth of information. We also have a LifeLine service that connects you to a mentor that has gone through a similar situation. Please feel free to message me if you would like more information. In the meantime, please search around in the message boards. We are here for you.