Good News ... Bad News ... Good News

3aSherie

Good news is that I feel great.

Bad news is that I've been diagnosed with NSCLC Stage 3A.

Good news is that I would NEVER have known anything was wrong if I hadn't switched health care providers.

First appt. w/new doctor was July 2, 2015. She recommended a battery of tests ... hearing, mammogram, full blood work-up, and most importantly ... a CT scan based on my history of smoking (3 packs a day for 30+ years) and the fact that I quit within the last 15 years (it's been 7). The CT scan showed 3 areas of concern in or around my left lung. I then had a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) and a PT scan. I learned that the PFT was to find out if I could get through surgery if that was an option. The PT scan confirmed that surgery is NOT an option ... I have a smallish mass in my left lung and cancer has spread to a lymph node in the mediastinum ... this was confirmed by multiple biopsies that were performed via a mediastinoscopy; 6 lymph nodes were biopsied and (more good news) only one tested positive for cancer. Lastly, I had an MRI of the brain and thank goodness, that one came back with no signs of cancer.

So here we are. I'm scheduled to start chemoradiation (concurrently) on Monday, Sept. 28th. The chemo cocktail is Carboplatin & Alimta and the proposed plan is treatment every 3 weeks. For how long ... I don't know. Radiation will begin on 9/28 as well and the schedule will be M-F for 6 weeks (30 sessions).

Amazingly, I am taking this news very matter-of-factly. I'm not scared ... I'm actually looking forward to treatment and to see how I will (or will not) tolerate it. I'm guessing that being 65 years old and not having any "symptoms" accounts for most of that.

I look forward to eMeeting all of you and learning a lot about this disease and about coping with it. I'm so happy you're here!!

- Sherie

Welcome Sherie.  Glad you found us.

Glad you found a Doctor that was very good and careful meeting you and examining you.

Very very glad he got your treatment started too!

Hope you respond as well as I did.  I was Stage 3B.  I am still here typing to you.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Sherie,

Welcome here.  It sounds like you've had a complete diagnostic work-up.  So your scanned, biopsied, typed and staged.  Strap in, lock and load, and proceed purposefully with treatment to kill your cancer.  Here are a couple of pointers.

Medical practitioners can tell you what treatments are going to do and how they will effect you but only survivors can give you insight into how you'll feel during treatment.  Few practitioners have actually had cancer and consequently have little experience in how it feels to go through treatment.  We do and you'll have questions and concerns.  Ask away! I also encourage you to find a cancer support group near your home.  Generally they meet at or near treatment centers and it has been my experience that they welcome all in treatment, whatever stage or type.  

I surmise you'll be starting your first line treatment of radiation and concurrent chemotherapy and it sounds very much like my first line treatment but the chemo drugs are different.  I had Taxol Carboplatin, then the standard of care in 2004, and you are receiving Alimta.  I've read good things about Alimta's effectiveness and side effect mitigation but expect some.  Here is a resource that may be instructive in explaining our disease - Lung Cancer 101 here - http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101

I wrote a "Ten Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer" years ago.  I'll attach it (if possible) but if attaching doesn't work, you can find it on the web here -http://www.redtoenail.org/tensteps  This may give you insight to what radiation and chemotherapy will feel like.

Most important in surviving cancer, I believe is your attitude toward treatment.  You face a tuff fight.   In your 3-week cycle of treatment, you'll experience repetitive unpleasantness on a recurring schedule and mentally the nature of treatment will test your coping skills.  Let people know when you're approaching your limit. It was the most difficult struggle in my life.  Don't try this alone. Expect to be depressed.  But, amid all this treatment mayhem is a very possible but often forgotten side effect of first line treatment - extra life.  If you've committed to treatment, then you are committing to living longer.  Embody that expectation.

Stay the course.

Tom

Ten Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer.pdf

So happy you're still here typing, Donna!! Will definitely keep updating my journey ... right now I'm on a break from a 5 HOUR dental appointment!!!! Trying to get my mouth into shape for whatever havoc is wreaked by chemo. And tomorrow is my "Simulation" for radiation ... this sounds like it's going to be yet ANOTHER life experience!!

Fingers crossed!!

Thanks so much for responding ... it's wonderful to have this kind of support.

- Sherie

Sherie, it sounds like you have the perfect attitude for this battle. I'm told state of mind is key to our progress. Even before I asked for my CT scan, and although I had no real symptoms, I knew something was wrong. I'd had a bad case of bronchitis 6 weeks earlier that just wasn't like anything before. I also believe that God was whispering in my ear. So, now, one more whole day before I see the doctor again. I'm not a patient sort. LOL. But I love reading posts like yours. I'll be 64 in October. Going to try to emulate you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B? I think we should stick together on this one!!! What a "life experience", huh? :) How did your doctor's appointment go?

As for me ... my treatment was delayed again only this time it's only for one day. I start tomorrow!! The dosimetrist (radiation plotter) recommended that I have IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) which is more advanced than regular ol' radiation which means more expensive which means we had to get this referral re-Authorized/Approved. I can't wait to get this show on the road!!

Chemo tomorrow morning followed by radiation in the afternoon. Will report how it goes!!

Sherie,

Checking in to see how you are doing? How was your first treatment of chemo & radiation? I'm a little frustrated. Doctor is delaying my surgery to the end of the month. He wants my A1c down from 7.3 to a 5?! That's a blood test that averages your blood sugars over 3 month period. That means a wait of almost 2 months from the CT scan. I hate this wait. At least you have been off cigarettes for so long. I've only been smoke free for 3 weeks. I guess the extra time will get more of the effects of smoking out of my system.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Barb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk