Recovery from Stage IV lung cancer

rtaylor4012

It has been 16 months since the discovery of my lung cancer.   I was never a smoking and development the disease because of a mutated EGFR gene.     I was a very healthy male at the age of 54, who exercised daily and was stocked when we discovered the cancer.   I had a seizure from the mass on my brain.   This meant I was stage IV patient before they discovered lung cancer.

We started with aggressive treatment for lung cancer, lung and lymph surgery, neurosurgery, radiation, chemo and then oral chemo.

You must push your clinical providers for questions and answers and get second opinions.   

Welcome.  Glad you posted.  Many will read this post and get what most of us need  HOPE.

Sounds like you have been through quite a bit with all those treatments but thankfully they must

be working ----you are here with us.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

Rtaylor,

Welcome here.  In sixteen months, you've experienced a lifetime of cancer treatment, especially given that a brain seizure was the means of discovery.  EGFR gene targeted therapy is very promising for the small percentage of NSCLC patients who a exhibit epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor.  I note you've have both lung and brain surgery, conventional radiation, conventional chemotherapy and are now on a course of oral chemotherapy.  I'd say that is very aggressive treatment!

Please stay connected here and let us know how your treatment is progressing.  From what I've read about EGFR based therapy, results are very promising.  Your treatment experience will be of high interest to our community.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi RTaylor,

Welcome to the LCSC message boards. I'm glad you found us. I look forward to getting to know you. It sounds like you may have a really inspirational story of hope! Please let me kow if you would like to share it or if LUNGevity can support you in any way. We are here for you.  http://www.lungevity.org/support-survivorship

Take care,

Cindy