Been battling stage IV lung cancer for 8 mo.

pobuddy

I have been battling stage IV lung cancer for 8 months and going through my second series of chemo. I have a great support group of friends and family, but I am a bit of a loner and am struggling with the mental issues associated with this desease. I try to keep a possitive attitude and sense of humor, but inside I am scared of where this disease is going to affect me in the future? Right now I am still mobile, but get winded doing minor chores. I was recently prescribed suplimental oxygen, but find it restrictive. I am just looking for a group that knows what I am going through for a little piece of mind.

Well, you've come to the right place.

Stage IV, second line chemo and oxygen: been there and done that.  Depression and fighting it myself.  Did that also and it didn't work for this retired soldier.  When I finally got around to admitting depression to my doctor he said: "Well of course you are, who wouldn't be!"  The medication he prescribed helped.  So did the support group he recommended I attend.  Everyone in the group understood my fear and concern.  They knew everything I was experiencing.  I felt much better attending those sessions just knowing there were other people who'd been down the path I was on.  I didn't say much in my early meetings but listening to others was a tonic.

I had an oxygen leash for a while.  I gradually grew accustomed to "less wind in the sail" and stopped using it.  Gave the leased machine up after it sat unused for a couple of months.  Use it as you need it.  Buy one of these on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Oximeter-Blood-Oxygen-Monitor/dp/B00HXXO332/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449587638&sr=1-4&keywords=o2+level+monitor  and start tracking your O2 level.

LUNGevity has a LifeLine Support Program.  We match patients to survivors and you might benefit from talking to someone who understands what you are going through.  Details are here:  www.lungevity.org/lifeline

Welcome here.

Stay the course.

Tom

Being healthy overall at the time of diagnosis is associated with a longer life expectancy, and a greater ability to withstand treatments that may extend survival. Find ways to stay healthy and learn everything you need to know about the condition.

Hi pobuddy,

Welcome to the LCSC message boards. I'm glad you have a great support system. We are here for you and we have many friends here who have experience. So please ask any questions or share any feelings you may be going through. 

Like Tom mentioned above LUNGevity has the LifeLine Program. That may interest you. If so, please let me know if you have any questions on getting started. 

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cindy