Side Effects after Treatment

MarkWee

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed SCLC in June this year with a 7 x 9 x 10 cm  right lung mass a lymph that was enlarged to 4 cm pressing on my trachea and the mass wrapped around my pulmonary artery.. My only symptom was a tickle catch when I coughed, which prompted a chest Xray. 4 sessions of Cytoxin and Etoposide with 15 radiation to the lung followed up with 10 PCI treatments. Most of the treatments were tolerated reasonably well, with a little nausea &  tiredness. The last 2 months, since PCI completed I have had a horrible metallic taste , and aversion to most food, and extreme tiredness along with leg and foot pain, coldness, numbness. Is this mostly normal? Did anyone else have these much delayed side effects. I am so extremely tired and can't wait for the day to enjoy food again. I have lost roughly 15- 20 lbs in the last 2 months.

• 3 weeks later...

have you tried or thought about smoothies maybe? with some protein powder mixed in?? will help with weight loss and possibly avoid cachexia by gaining some mass back to your frame because of appetite conditions??

Hi MarkWee,

I've heard that people try using honey to help with the metallic taste. As far as the foot pain, you may want to ask your doctor about neuropathy. If that is what you may be experiencing I recommend trying to keep your feet up & at a comfortable temperature. Here is a link that has more information about side effects. I hope your ease up soon. 

• Peripheral neuropathy: Sometimes physical therapy and complementary therapies, such as massage and acupuncture, can help. The most common medications to treat neuropathic pain are anticonvulsants and antidepressants. Over-the-counter pain medications may be recommended for mild pain, or prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or analgesics may be prescribed for severe pain.3

http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/chemotherapy