Waiting on Treatment

Appleneesy35

I was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC in September and am still waiting for treatment. Is this normal? I have had Pneumonia several times since my diagnosis and now have pulmonary fibrosis as well. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to have chemo or radiation...just wondering if this is normal.

Thank you!

Although I waited for over a month for surgery and then a couple more weeks to begin treatment I do think 4 months is a long period of time. I would definitley be asking questions of my oncologist. There may be reasons why they haven't started treatment yet possibly due to your other lung conditions, but they do need to convey that to you. 

have heard of good experiences from them.. this is a long time but like they have said it could be due to your other infections and conditions. keep us posted with questions and if you need any info.. we can help with lots of things here if you want us to...

I found out today that the reason I have not received treatment is because of the pulmonary fibrosis. They are trying to figure out a safe way of treating me without doing anymore damage to my lungs. I was told that the pulmonary fibrosis would keep causing more lung cancer because my lungs are weak from the scarring. I was also told that the PF would take my life in three years and that I would need a lung transplant in a year. However; I cannot have the lung transplant because of the cancer. This is so hard for me to understand. And of course, I am terrified because I have three children that need me. I am so glad I have all of you as another form of support. Thank you all for responding to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck, I hope that everything works out for you. Stay strong and positive. You have to become your own advocate sometimes. I let my wife become mine. Sometimes you have to be a little demanding and to let them know that you need answers.

• 4 weeks later...

I would go for more opinions from other oncologists to see what their treatment options are since you also have PF. We went to several oncologists to find out what was available for Jason's treatments.