Stage 2 Lung Cancer

paparon

Hello Paparon.  So surgery in 4 days, would that be Thursday? 

Deep breathing, getting up out of bed after surgery and walking are important.

Have you got family and friends to be with you?  Does the Doctor think this is all

that will be necessary?  Hope it all goes well for you.  I eventually had my right upper lobe removed.

It takes a while but you adapt .  Please keep us posted on how you are doing . 

Feel free to ask questions.  

Donna G

Paparon,

Two days and a wake-up is the surgery countdown now.  I had a right pneumonectomy in 2004.  Was up and walking around in 2 days and would have been fine but got an infection while recovering at home and was readmitted.  Here are some lessons for post surgery recovery:

1. Keep away from all children both those that visit you in the hospital and those who visit you at home after surgery.  I'd wait about a month before interacting with children.  A minor childhood cold passed to you could (will) be a major complication.

2. You'll likely have a chest tube installed after surgery.  It will be removed several days after surgery.  Removal doesn't hurt.

3. You won't experience pain after surgery.  They are very good at pain management these days in the hospital.

4. You'll be encouraged to get out of bed and move around much sooner than you think you can.  Cooperate and graduate to discharge.

4.  You may need post surgical chemo.  We in the "trade" call it "dustup chemo".  This attacks the cells discharged or disrupted during surgery and is common practice for most surgeries.

5.  You'll be encouraged to blow hard into a spirometer - a device that exercises your lungs - several times a day.  You'll be coached to keep the ball at a certain number for a period of time.  This will be a major pain the first several times but it will speed your recovery and discharge.

Let us know how things work out.

Stay the course.

Tom

Paparon, what great news you are at just Stage 2. I was blessed also. I had a right lower lobectomy and the pathology report came back Stage 1a. But only one lymph node to be removed? I think maybe you heard wrong. My thoracic surgeon wanted to make sure it hadn't spread, so he removed 37 lymph nodes. All came back great.

You will do great I am sure. What kind is it? Non small cell? Squamous or adenocarcinoma?

Whatever it is, this is a great bunch of warriors here ready to help & fight with you. Good luck with whatever kind of surgery there is.

Barb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HI Paparon,

I'm glad you found us for support. I hope you have family and friends who will be there with you on the day of your surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please feel free to update us, if you feel up to it. 

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks since I had my Surgery to remove my right lower lobe and 1 lymph node from my Lungs and I feel Great. The Operation took about 5 hours here at the Portland Oregon VA. With OHSU Physicians. It was positive for Non Small Cell Cancer so I will be going in for Chemo in about 3 weeks or so. I meet with multidisciplinary team next week. God has been my side the entire time and is being my Guidance. Also exploring the benefits of Hemp Seed Oil to Help Boost my Immunity System.

Superb news!  Very glad to hear the VA treated you well.

You'll likely have between 4 and 6 infusions of chemo after surgery.  We call it, informally, dustup chemo and its purpose is to kill cells in the bloodstream.

I wouldn't know about the benefits of Hemp Seed Oil but I hope it his helping you.

Stay the course.

Tom

PopaRon,

I am SO GLAD to hear how well you are doing!! Oregon is a beautiful place to recover :-) I have visited friends there briefly during a trip to Seattle.

Some chemo after surgery is pretty common. Once you get the details, you should pop back in here to see if anyone had the same chemo. Not that they can predict how you will react, but it's always nice to find out how others reacted. Make sure you have your questions ready for the appointment too. Things like will you loose your hair, how long will the treatments take and things. I was able to drive myself to and fro every day, but hubby always wanted to be sure I had someone with me on the days I got 2 chemos plus rad. It was nice to know that I could tell people that they were in for an 8 hour day, plus the 90 minute ride each way. If they couldn't be there all day, they had to let me know ahead of time so I could schedule someone else. I didn't "Need" anybody with me, but it sure was nice to have someone to talk to. It was also a great excuse to catch up with some friends that I hadn't had any Quality Time (QT) with in a while :-D Take notes, ask questions, write down the answers. Sometimes it seems like they said so little ~ it can all mysteriously vanish by the time you get home... It just made me feel better to be able to plan ahead as much as possible.

I look forward to seeing more updates. Hopefully they will all be as positive!! I am sure God will continue to guide you along this road! :)

"See" ya soon,

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am 2 weeks away from meeting with the thoracic team to figure out a Chemo plan and I am scared silly.

First off, I have read that the Chemo can pretty much be just as bad if not worse than the Cancer itself. I have also read about Cancer battles being won with integrative therapies, Immunal therapy or even Cannabis oil or Hemp Seed Oil. Would like to know what other people think about these options. I'm up for doing whatever I need to do to beat this demon, I really don't want to do the Chemo.

Papaeon,

Scared silly is lung cancer normal!  I'm still scared silly.....

So, let me tell you a bit about something called "Standard of Care."  In fighting cancer, there is a normal progression of therapies - The Standard of Care - that almost all patients receive.  The reason for the progression is that it has been shown through deep and rigorous statistical analysis to be the best recipe for arresting the disease.

Almost everyone who has lung cancer surgery for stage II or higher disease receives post-surgical chemo therapy.  These together, surgery and post surgical chemo therapy, are what yield the high 1 year and 5 year survival rate.  Immunotherapy for lung cancer is a new field of treatment and is generally used on people who have late stage Stage IIIB and Stage IV disease that cannot be treated surgically.  I wouldn't know about Cannabis Oil or Hemp Seed Oil.  They may or may not be effective but they are not the Standard of Care.

Nobody wants to have chemo.  But, in your case, it gives you the best shot for extended life.  

When I read about alternative therapy, I recall Steve Jobs.  He was one of the brightest innovators and best businessman in America.  He was diagnosed with a very treatable cancer but declined Standard of Care treatment for alternative therapy in India.  Then after it failed, he embraced conventional therapy but his disease had spread to organs and bones and he died. 

You've had a great start to eradicating your disease.  Don't get creative on the back nine....

Stay the course.

Tom