Stage 2a lung cancer

Bart

Hi all my name is Bart I was recently told I have stage 2a lung cancer. I'm a vet so the va is taking care of me. They are planning surgury in the next few weeks. I had heart surgury about 5 years ago. My heart is fine I'm pretty sure. My primary care doctor says this is curable and treatable because they caught it early. At this time it has not spred. I'm not really scared but concerned about surgury and chemo. I've read and seen awful things about chemo. I talk to the doctors on Monday. Has anyone decided to not have treatment and let our amune system fight it? I'm waying my options. I'm 66 any input would so helpful.

Bart,

Lots of people have declined treatment - Steve Jobs comes to mind as but one example.  And there is zero probability of one's immune system doing anything about your cancer.  Cancer cells are tissue made of cells that are produced by your normal bodily function and processes and thereby not recognizable by your immune system.

So I'd suggest treatment.  You described your cancer as IIA and that means a small tumor that is intact - not spread.  The most common means of dealing with tumors of this type and nature is surgical removal.  Then about six to eight weeks after surgery, chemotherapy is administered to kill or disrupt any cancer cells present in your bloodstream.  In truth, chemotherapy is not enjoyable but in my case, my infusion cycle consisted of the drugs Taxol and Carboplatin.  They were administered once every three weeks over the course of an eighteen week cycle.  Side effect only occurred for 3 days after each infusion.  They were not pleasant, nor was losing my hair, but they were tolerable and my hair grew back. 

You may also be presented with an alternate surgical procedure - radio-surgery often called CyberKnife or GamaKnife.  And these days, there is minimally invasive surgical procedures to minimizing the pain and debilitating effect.  

So I'd count yourself lucky that you had an early discovery.  Stage IIA is normally easily dealt with.  Stay connected with us and let us know what your doctors advise you on Monday.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom Thankyou so much for the wonderful advice. You have saved from making a very dumb decision. The doctors at the vets hospital plan surgery in the next 2 weeks. They want me to be as healthy as possible. I feel very good both mentally and physically. I'm am prepared to beat this thing. It is great to find a group that has been through this stuff. I feel even more encouraged with your kind words and wisdom. I will keep you posted on how Monday goes. Thankyou again Rick

Hi Bart,

Like you I was dxd as Stage 2 lung cancer (NSCLC),that was in Oct 2008.My treatment plan was for what is called Neo Adjuvant Chemotherapy 4 cycles after two I was given a CT to discover the effect on my tumour which was in the airway of my upper right lung.Well,my feedback from my oncologist was that he had never seen such shrinkage in a tumour before after only two cycles,which meant I was a prime candidate for surgery which would follow in January 2009.I did have the further two cycles of chemo at my surgeons insistance.My chemo was a cocktail of Cistplatin and Vinorebine.Prior to my receiving the chemo Iworried about its possible side effects,nausea,hair falling out etc,I need'nt have worried I sailed through the lot without any discomfort at all,oh,except a wee bout of constipation,which i could have avoide if I heeded my docs warnings about drinking plenty of fluids during chemo administration.Surgery followed in January,well I am a Scot,but certainly not a Braveheart,I did worry that the surgery would be extremely painful,leave me a breathless invalid,it might not work and my cancer would return soon after.Well again nothing close to my fears became a reality,I sailed through the surgery,with little discomfort,breatthless invalid? no way,OK I will never be able to climb Mt Everest,but I can get around fine.Climbing hills and stairs,I just have to take it easy.I had 6 monthly check ups for 5 years,my last one a couple of years ago my Doc tells me all my tests have come back clear.He then adds,you know Eric,we do have success with lung cancer and are certainly one,I would go as far to say with confidence,you are Cured,no go away,I dont expect to see you again,we shook hands and parted friends.

I and now just short of 8 years a survivor,I wish you every success  Bart that I have experienced.

Eric I'm so glad you are well also your words of encouragement are so much appreciated. After today's visit with the Doctor things look good too go. They say I'm stage1b they want me to be as healthy as I can get. Surgery looks like mid April. I'm so inspired by your words of engcouragent help to make me stronger. Thankyou so much for the reply.

I had stage 3A adenocarcinoma ten years ago. I had weekly chemo for six weeks concurrent with daily radiation. I had surgery to remove to top lobe of my right lung. That was followed up with adjuvant chemo to kill any possible microscopic cancer cells that are not visible on scans. I was afraid of chemo but it was doable even though I lost my hair, but it did grow back. I hope my information is helpful to you.

Hi Rick / Bart,

I just want to give you some more encouragement. I was IIB and had chemo (cisplatin & etoposide)  with radiation followed by extensive surgery. I had virtually no issues with the chemo beyond the hair loss and an aversion to the smell of fuel. That was so bad I could not even go to the gas station to make a purchase in the convenience store!! Thank goodness hubby could fill my tank every other day so I could drive 90 miles each way to treatment. The surgery was harder to recover from but that was because of the unique position of the tumor in among my neck bones. I was blessed to find doctors who would do the crazy surgery. Even so I am thankful every day that I found it in time to do what was done.

God Bless & Good luck! I look forward to your updates and news of your success :-)

Mary

Mary Thankyou so much for the encouragement it means the world to me. I see the doctors next Tuesday and weds hopefully a plan of action will be set. I will post updates as Iam able. God bless you Mary .

• 1 month later...

I had surgury they removed my top right love of my lung. Surgury was about 3 weeks ago. The surgeon is sure she got it all and gave me a clean bill of health. In 2 weeks they want to do 4 rounds of chemo every three weeks. The nurse we talked to made chemo sound freighting. I'm not sure how or what to feel. The surgury went very well and I'm home able to do the things I pretty much did before surgury. Thankyou for the support it was a big help in giving me peace.

Bart,

Great news on your surgical results.  I'm not sure what your nurse told you of chemotherapy that made you afraid.  I've found, one should only fear things we don't understand.  Your dust-up chemotherapy is a necessary part of your surgery.  

There will likely be some side effects.  Go to this site - https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/chemotherapy - and click on the down arrow on the question "What are some common side effects of chemotherapy."  The list covers most everything I know about.  Moreover, doctors and chemo nurses have medicine and procedures to help minimize these side effects.  So, you know the possible side effects and know there are ways to minimize the amount of discomfort.  Only one - hair loss - resists mitigation, but after each cycle of chemotherapy (I had 3 - 6 infusions each cycle), my hair grew back.

You've gone through the tough and dangerous part - surgery.  Complete your course of treatment to ensure you remain cancer free.  Then, settle down and enjoy life.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks tom you have been such a great comfort and help. I'm grateful to have found this group and new friends that have gone thru this. You are an inspiration.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all my name is Bart I was recently told I have stage 2a lung cancer. I'm a vet so the va is taking care of me. They are planning surgury in the next few weeks. I had heart surgury about 5 years ago. My heart is fine I'm pretty sure. My primary care doctor says this is curable and treatable because they caught it early. At this time it has not spred. I'm not really scared but concerned about surgury and chemo. I've read and seen awful things about chemo. I talk to the doctors on Monday. Has anyone decided to not have treatment and let our amune system fight it? I'm waying my options. I'm 66 any input would so helpful.

I had surgery and chemo,stage2 non small cell,my surgery was rough,but mad it through,it depends on person with chemo,makevsure you take folic acid pills every day,get ondesatron for nausea and dexamethasone pills,drink alot of water,side effects for me was my knees are still numb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bart,

Has chemo started yet? I was for sure the odd one out, but I drank my ice water until my eyes got pale from being diluted LOL!! I don't know what the magic was, but I was not ever ill beyond getting nauseous at the smell of gasoline. Simple solve, I didn't go!! I got hubby to fill the tank for me every other day. Living a 90-100 minute drive from the cancer center made for long days and expensive  amounts of fuel in my 1 year old pick up truck. It was the only auto-transmission in the family and I don't drive stick. Except for when I had my Harley that is :-)

I hope you treatment goes as smooth as possible!!

Mary