Stage 4 adeno w/ ALK mutation

Some of you here may already know me. Name's John. I go by @JohnLPender on Twitter, which is where you'll usually find me. I am on the #LCSM chat every other Thursday, which is how I found out about this place.

I was diagnosed December 9th, 2014 with Stage 3 non-small cell adenocarcinoma, post biopsy, with small metastases to nearby lymph nodes. I had (and still do have) a massive tumor that took up pretty much the entire upper lobe in my right lung, so much so that the empty space above it had ceased the function and collapsed. A week later, after my initial PET scan, I was told (at least this is what it felt like at the time) "LOL J/K. You have Stage 4!"

Long story short, they found the ALK genetic mutation in my biopsy and I've been fortunate enough to forgo chemotherapy. I've already been through a year of Xalkori and am about two months into Zykadia now. It's been 15 months now and I'm still kickin'.

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum.

Great news Xalkori and Zykadia are working.  

Hang around and help us out.  We get a lot of folks asking for information about genetic mutation these days and old guys like me had treatment way before the discovery of generic mutation and targeted therapy.

Stay the course.

Tom